Pathologic / Deformed Teeth

Guest bmorefossil

Attached are pics of a 4.0" deformed Carcharocles angustidens from Summerville, SC. In this case the reason for the deformity is known. A sting ray barb has penetrated the root of the tooth resulting in a much distorted torus (lingual protuberance) of the tooth.

The first pic is an overall view of the tooth and one end of the barb can be seen emerging just above the bourlette.

The second pic is a close-up of the same end of the barb.

In the third pic, the other tip of the barb can be seen emerging just to the right of the center line of the root in labial aspect.

It's somewhat difficult to see from the pictures the high degree of root deformity caused by the barb. Also, the barb has fossilized the same color as the root.

I once took the tooth to my dentist to see if he could get an X-ray of the barb along the entire length of root penetration. Unfortunately the tooth material was of such density that the X-rays were not successful.

post-294-1216143945_thumb.jpg

post-294-1216143979_thumb.jpg

post-294-1216144056_thumb.jpg

I neglected to add that the length of the sting ray barb is about 1.6"

...In this case the reason for the deformity is known. A sting ray barb has penetrated the root of the tooth resulting in a much distorted torus (lingual protuberance) of the tooth.

I love this tooth! All of these gnarley deformities are cool to see, but this one tells a story.

post-423-1216151802.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Here are some, but they are not mine!

Isn't that one of the security guards at Lee Creek?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 2 weeks later...
Attached are pics of a 4.0" deformed Carcharocles angustidens from Summerville, SC. In this case the reason for the deformity is known. A sting ray barb has penetrated the root of the tooth resulting in a much distorted torus (lingual protuberance) of the tooth.

The first pic is an overall view of the tooth and one end of the barb can be seen emerging just above the bourlette.

The second pic is a close-up of the same end of the barb.

In the third pic, the other tip of the barb can be seen emerging just to the right of the center line of the root in labial aspect.

It's somewhat difficult to see from the pictures the high degree of root deformity caused by the barb. Also, the barb has fossilized the same color as the root.

I once took the tooth to my dentist to see if he could get an X-ray of the barb along the entire length of root penetration. Unfortunately the tooth material was of such density that the X-rays were not successful.

post-294-1216143945_thumb.jpg

post-294-1216143979_thumb.jpg

post-294-1216144056_thumb.jpg

That's something really special! ... and tells a fantastic story.