A Snail Question!

MOROPUS

How can you distinguish defenetly Vasum Horridum from other similar shells? This is a question for people around FL! I`ve manage to buy one, but I`m not sure that is really it!! <_<

"This is generally a common and most characteristic species of the Caloosahatchee fauna, differing strikingly from any Recent form known. Allied to [Vasum locklini], it differs by its narrow form, fewer and more scoop-like tubercles , and simpler, non-scabrous spiral cords encircling the base." ----Olsson & Harbison, PLIOCENE MOLLUSCA OF SOUTHERN FLORIDA.

-----Harry Pristis

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

It is a very distinctive shell you should have no trouble identifying it. I would suggest "A Guide For Identifying Florida Fossil Shells and Other Invertebrates" by Lelia and William Brayfield as a great source of reference.

Post a pic of it! :)

Thank`s for your reply! Unfortunately, I am writing from Spain, so that book is very difficult to find it here... Is it abailable in ebay? By the way, as a new member,how can I post a photo? I really got nice Pliocene shells from southern Spain that I would like to post in. Thank`s a lot!!! :Thumbs-up:

Family: Vasidae

Genus: Vasum

Species: locklini

Description: 70mm long. This vase is sculptured with thick spiral cords and studded with spines and fluted tubercles.

Discussion: Collected in the lower Caloosahatchee beds. This species is restricted to the Pliocene Epoch.

Family: Vasidae

Genus: Vasum

Species: horridum

Description: 85 mm long. This vase differs from V. locklini in being less spiniferous. Also, it has a narrower form.

Discussion: Collected in the middle Caloosahatchee beds. Pliocene only. This vase is characteristic of the Pliocene Caloosahatchee Formation.