Archaeopteris - Making The First Tree Forest

fossilcrazy

In the last 5 years that I have collected at "Red Hill" near Hyner, PA; I have had good fortune of finding exactly what I set out to find - nice whole fronds of the Devonian plant Archaeopteris. I'm not even sure why they are my favorite fossil, they just are. Hope you enjoy what you see; there aren't many of them around.

This was my very first find. One side went to the Renovo Museum.

post-296-0-04348800-1315614136_thumb.jpg

This one I got to keep.

post-296-0-68446200-1315614152_thumb.jpg

This is a drawing of what the leaflets may have looked like in life.

post-296-0-07919700-1315614177_thumb.jpg

These are my best examples:

post-296-0-70981000-1315614198_thumb.jpg post-296-0-44313500-1315614212_thumb.jpg

Very nice! I share your enthusiasm for this plant. :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow John... very nice.... is this site late Devonian?

Peter, If I may direct you to a very comprehensive website, it will answer your question and give so much more info on the species. Try this link with your browser:

http://www.devoniantimes.org/who/pages/archaeopteris.html

Now you owe me one answer to a camera related question. ;)

And I guess I owe you more than one favor....

Wow, what a site - thanks a lot!

Thomas

Edited by oilshale

Be not ashamed of mistakes and thus make them crimes (Confucius, 551 BC - 479 BC).

Hi John, very nice find. I like Arhaeopteris as well. Some additional information about this tree I found before.

Arhaeopteris or Callixylon.

As well known in 1894 Russian paleobotanist I. Shmalhausen has published his first report about upper Devonian flora founded him in volcanogenic deposits of Southern Donbass near Big Karakuba settlement (now Razdolne, Donetsk Region, Ukraine).That flora location appeared on the river bank outcrop. Shmalhausen described two species of the Arhaeopteris - Arhaeopteris archetypus Shmalh. and A. fissilis Shmalh. and lycopodium species assigned him as Lepidodendron karakubensis Shmalh. Further understanding of Southern Donbass upper Devonian flora has been enriched significantly due to research work of other Russian paleobotanist M. Zalessky. He has described (1909, 1921) in volcanogenic deposits near Razdolne some Arhaeopteris petrified wood locations named him Callixylon trifilievii M. Zalessky. He worked many years in Donbass and described 28 species and 7 genuses of the paleoflora including four new ones - Helenia,Heleniella, Amadokia and Volnovakhia. Interesting that Archaeopteris was originally classified as a fern, and it remained classified so for many years. In the 1960's, paleontologist Charles B. Beck (USA) was able to demonstrate that the fossil wood known as Callixylon and the leaves known as Archaeopteris were actually part of the same plant. It was a plant with a mixture of characteristics not seen in any living plant, a link between true gymnosperms and ferns.

My last finds from Razdolne here.

More finds you can see here and here

Regards Roman