Photo In The News: Dino-era Fish Head Found In Garden?

Guest Nicholas

Stonefish. Someone at a museum actually authenticated this? :blink:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Stonefish. Someone at a museum actually authenticated this? :blink:

Yes, I wondered when I saw that too. This was part of the article,

"There's no doubt it's a fossil," said Ed Jarzembowski, keeper of natural history at the Maidstone Museum. Jarzembowski, who was the first to examine the stone, said that the type of fish the fossil represents isn't yet known.

When I looked at that, I thought rock. Apparently there must be more to see in person.

Welcome to the forum!

Anyone who can recall the case of "Archaeoraptor" would know that it wouldn't be the first time that National Geographic jumped the gun on a story. I'll reserve my judgement of it until they publish more on the find.

Figures!!! They finally put a picture in the story, when it probably isn't even a fossil!!!!

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

looks like a chunk of very old weather worn garden ornament

a heckle a day keeps the doctor away

I know Dr Jarzembowski personally and am quite sure, IF he said it is a fish, it is. This is fossilised in Flint, which is a hard cryptocrystaline form of Quartz, believed to come from the dissolved spicules of silicious sponges. All sorts of flint fossils have been found.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

The flint nodules in Chalk are believed to be caused by gelatinous silica, filling voids, such as worm/lobster burrows, etc. Why not a void caused by the decaying fish head?

As for soft tissue preservation, shark skin, dino skin, jellyfish, etc, spring to mind. Also, in one of my galleries, I have a 3 dimensional, fossilised beetle abdomen. Lower Weald Clay, Lower Cretaceous.

KOF, Bill.

The flint nodules in Chalk are believed to be caused by gelatinous silica, filling voids, such as worm/lobster burrows, etc. Why not a void caused by the decaying fish head?

Void-fill could explain it.

post-423-1217433492_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest solius symbiosus

For soft tissue to be preserved, rapid burial is a prerequisite. Though, I know little of Britain's geology, I thought the Cretaceous chalks were deposits of diatoms, and forams, that were deposited in calm, and relatively deep, seas.

Yes, as is the chalk of various other countries. As it is being deposited it forms an ooze, into which dead animals, etc, could sink. I should think that such fine sediment, at depth, would be pretty anaerobic.

KOF, Bill.

Guest solius symbiosus
I should think that such fine sediment, at depth, would be pretty anaerobic.

I didn't think of that.