Field Of Fossils

central texas

In the picture below showing a large field just behind my property actually was covered with Cedar like you can see in the distance. The property owners cleared the Cedar from this area and after a couple years the elements have uncovered a field of 100 myo Cretaceous fossils. To search this area will take me quite a long time if I search it carefully. The other pictures are fossils that I picked up just from walking straight out into the field. I'm getting close to picking up quality instead of quantity but from my one quick search these were all I found. There is much much more area to look at. Of course the oyster shells are everywhere, I just don't pick them up anymore.

The location is in my sig and I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what else I should find in this area just by seeing the common and abundant fossils I've found so far.

Take care,

post-6965-0-40308300-1320022717_thumb.jpg

post-6965-0-13598700-1320022734_thumb.jpg

post-6965-0-90553600-1320022752_thumb.jpg

post-6965-0-35425900-1320022771_thumb.jpg

post-6965-0-99891500-1320022781_thumb.jpg

post-6965-0-46709500-1320022795_thumb.jpg

post-6965-0-58868200-1320022816_thumb.jpg

---

Bob Smith

Central Texas Cretaceous

31°02'54.27N - 97°55'56.08W

Large map of the formations where I am located

http://tinyurl.com/3ral5cy

mid Cretaceous (~100 m.y.)

Border of the Trinity Group and the Fredricksburg / L. Washita Groups

Walnut Clay Formation in the Fredricksburg Group

What a wonderful discovery and close hunting site! I will be interested to see what all you can find there :)

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

• Funny. I just moved down to Texas from up by Seattle! I was just over in Lampasas today! So...anyone know the age of the rocks near Flat, Texas? I was collecting in a roadcut of hwy. 36 east near the town of Flat (in McLennan county) today and found this interesting little fruit or cone in some tan-colored sandstone. Also a beautiful mineralized gastropod. Texas is nice.

• Funny. I just moved down to Texas from up by Seattle! I was just over in Lampasas today! So...anyone know the age of the rocks near Flat, Texas? I was collecting in a roadcut of hwy. 36 east near the town of Flat (in McLennan county) today and found this interesting little fruit or cone in some tan-colored sandstone. Also a beautiful mineralized gastropod. Texas is nice.

You are very near and Texas has some great maps. I will have to go back and see, someone here pointed me to some maps and you should be on the Waco sheet. I'll look for them.

---

Bob Smith

Central Texas Cretaceous

What a wonderful discovery and close hunting site! I will be interested to see what all you can find there :)

Me too. I have to just go and sit and sift. And this property has not been touched by humans except for the cattle ranchers and hunters. We have a lot of deer back there and unfortunately some people want to kill them..

---

Bob Smith

Central Texas Cretaceous

This map will get you started.

http://i644.photobuc.../texas_rock.jpg

Edit I have to shut this computer down. We have a 14 year old German Shepherd who is partially paralyzed and has to have help to get up and walk. She panics when she's left alone and my wife just went to bed. I have the night shift keeping the girl company. I'll look again tomorrow afternoon but if you look back at my messages the past week or 2 you will find a lot of great advice I received when posting for help. There was the URL of the maps showing your exact location and the age of rocks found there. It helped me a lot.

Talk later.

Bob

Edited by central texas

---

Bob Smith

Central Texas Cretaceous

GeoJon,

Here is a set of geo maps for the entire state of TX. Just click on the sheet that covers your area, then you can zoom in on your particular area. I find this very useful as I travel to different areas of the state to collect.

By the way, welcome to TX. In my opinion, there's no better place to be, especially for the variety of fossils. Also, you can collect fossils year-round, without having to shovel snow out of the way. The summers can be a bit brutal though.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Me too. I have to just go and sit and sift. And this property has not been touched by humans except for the cattle ranchers and hunters. We have a lot of deer back there and unfortunately some people want to kill them..

I am in Austin, not too far from you! As you know we are in a major drought and the area lakes are at their almost all time lows and the fossils that are coming out of the water are amazing!!! Cant wait to see what all you can find from your new location! I just love hunting a site that no one has ever hunted before!!!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

• 1 year later...

GeoJon,

Here is a set of geo maps for the entire state of TX. Just click on the sheet that covers your area, then you can zoom in on your particular area. I find this very useful as I travel to different areas of the state to collect.

By the way, welcome to TX. In my opinion, there's no better place to be, especially for the variety of fossils. Also, you can collect fossils year-round, without having to shovel snow out of the way. The summers can be a bit brutal though.

Hey Sward, I'm interested in seeing those maps also, but I don't see a link to them in your post.