traveltip1

"Petrified", permineralized, silicified wood from Triassic Newark supergroup in Pennsylvania. Probably Araucarioxylon; same genus as in Arizona Petrified Forest national park. Some specimens have dark lignite on surface. For scale: silver discs in photo are USA quarter coins (0.995 inch or 2.42 centimeters in diameter).

post-7248-0-99428400-1320989971_thumb.jpg

Edited by traveltip1

Hey Traveltip1,

Very nice finds! :)

I had no idea you could collect his type of thing in these time periods.

Is this what you typically collect, or do you collect other things in the Newark Supergroup as well?

There are a number of us on here who "dig" the Newark Supergroup!

Thanks for posting these interesting pieces!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Seems like every time I turn around, I learn about something cool from the Newark Supergroup; cool wood!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow, nice stuff! :goodjob: It seems I never find the big stuff. Seems I always find the odd tiny pieces in odd places that makes ID a pain in the neck. Really great pieces you got there! Here is one I found not long ago while on a walk at Swope Park. It was the only piece around and laying a few feet off the trail.post-7046-0-65848300-1321024571_thumb.jpg post-7046-0-80346000-1321024587_thumb.jpg It is only 1/16" thick and sounds like glass when you drop it on the table.

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Nice finds, are you finding these as float, or are they from an outcropping? I have read that farmers would find pet wood when plowing fields in montgomery and bucks counties.

Very nice stuff. I actually have quite a few pieces of that material. I've always attributed it to Araucarioxylon as well. I as of yet have only found it in strata. Often found with Equisetites, at least in the Lockatong. I'd be interested in knowing what other plant material you're finding out there.

John