Some Mazon Creek Flora, Nice Nodules...

kurtdog

Sweet! I think: Pecopteris, Neuropteris, & Neuropteris (I think).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Those are simply beautiful. I had a chance to buy hundreds of those many years ago, but at the time, i was not interested in fossil plants. Dang!!!

RB

Guest N.AL.hunter

This is a reply for all of your Mazon Creek postings... Really Nice!! I thought this area was basically dead. When did you collect them? Recently?

...I thought this area was basically dead. When did you collect them? Recently?

In another one of his posts, he casually mentioned that he had a Creek nodule collection from the 60's. He had my undivided attention from then on!

post-423-1218572167.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

In another one of his posts, he casually mentioned that he had a Creek nodule collection from the 60's. He had my undivided attention from then on!

LOL, I knew it--that's why I knew I had to get that camera back so quickly! :)

N.AL.hunter...just a little more...made two, possibly three trips, there. Wasn't even old enough to drive. Just my two friends and me. One of the mom's took us on the first trip and my aunt took us on the second. My aunt knew Richardson (Field Museum). But that's all it took, just a few trips. And I've got banker's boxes full of these.

This Pit 11 was amazing, back then. Very little waste shrubbery, basically a barren hill. I remember the end of the dirt road to the pit had a big shady tree next to the lake/mine where the ladies would station themselves with the coolers and drinks and food while we went up and down the hill all day long like billy goats. I remember I was always the last one to get off the hill when we had to leave. :D

But that's how it was. And you didn't even have to dig for these, they were right there, on the ground. You just picked them up, went over to a nice, embedded rock, got down on one knee, and start tapping away. I didn't even want to come down for lunch. In fact, on the last trip, it got dark, and they were all yelling at me to get down and get into the car, and I had my back-pack with me, and I just threw everything I could find in there, until it couldn't fit anymore. It was so heavy, I don't know how I even dragged it down that hill, and got it into the car. I just hated to leave anything there, though...ya know? In fact, I think the only reason I finally came down is because I didn't have a flash light. :D