Mazon Creek...unknown?

kurtdog

Possibly a leaflet from Alethopteris.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Probably not Alethopterus or a cockroach (beetles weren't around int he Carboniferous). It looks more like a scale from a lycopod cone - Lepidostrobophyllum.

Last one for tonight, guys. Thanks for looking at these. This one's a kind of odd one, I think...

Looks like an individual cone scale, referred to as a 'bract', from a Lepidostrobus

Probably not Alethopterus or a cockroach (beetles weren't around int he Carboniferous). It looks more like a scale from a lycopod cone - Lepidostrobophyllum.
Looks like an individual cone scale, referred to as a 'bract', from a Lepidostrobus

BINGO! :applause:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks, guys. Here's a linky to a similar one (specimen #14733, ISM collection):

http://www.museum.state.il.us/databases/ge...og_number=14733.

I'm thinking, I don't know enough, but maybe one of you might want to add a comment, or even contact the curator (button, bottom-right), as this find (1938, by Langford), for whatever reason, is still going as "unidentified." I think this is the one I'm showing, though...right?

(Cue the taunting sing-songy music): "You know something they don't know!"

Very nice fossil, BTW,

(Cue the taunting sing-songy music): "You know something they don't know!"

Very nice fossil, BTW,

I already have it labeled/identified. :)