mikecable

I've got--

A Field Guide to Fossils of Texas--Charles Finsley

The Complete Guide to Fossils & Fossil-collecting --Steve Parker

Roadside Geology of Texas by Darwin Spearing

Texas Fossils: An Amateur Collector's Handbook by W. H. Matthews

Geologic Atlas of Texas Maps--for the areas I'm likely to collect

The complete set of micro-fossil reference cards sold by Kieran Davis

I want to buy myself a Christmas present. What essential reference (especially if related to micro-fossils or Texas) do I need?

Mike you should be able to find yourself a good holiday gift or 8 right HERE. (It will also help you get a reference on your local oysters. ;) )

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Mike you should be able to find yourself a good holiday gift or 8 right HERE. (It will also help you get a reference on your local oysters. ;) )

There will be two dealers at Fossil Fest selling those HGMS publications and many other great books and papers.

But the other very useful book, and not just for Texas, would be SHIMER, H. W. AND R. R. SHROCK. 1944. Index Fossils of North America. MIT Press. You can get a new one or search online and snag a used copy for less. It is still one of my first references when making IDs.

Lance--I will comb through that list. There is a book dealer in Stephenville, TX that offers a lot of articles like that on Abebooks. I may contact him and see if I can make an appointment to visit.

JohnJ--If my budget will handle it I'm tempted to order the complete set of the Texas Paleontology series. Thanks for the link.

erose--I do want Index Fossil of North America. Right now the only copies I can find are print on demand, which I don't really trust, or copies for $125 and up. I'll put a standing search on eBay and see if with patience I can snag a copy for less. Another of my hobbies is buying, selling and collecting books. I've had some good luck obtaining expensive bibliographies on the cheap this way. Thanks.