Approximate Worth?

Paperstraw

Hello,

I'm new to this forum (well rounded in overall forum experience though), and joined to ask a specific question.

During the summer I found several pieces of ammolite in a nearby residential construction area. I was just biking by, and noticed a chunk of clay on the sidewalk that looks as if someone moved it there. I immediately recognized it and collected it, along with a few other fossils in the area (scallops, etc).

I decided to call the Royal Tyrell museum and let them know about the fossils (it is illegal to excavate fossils in Alberta without permits and they must be reported when discovered or you can face heavy fines). Luckily Don Henderson, the curator of dinosaurs, at the museum was in town giving a talk to a local elementary school because of the recent Ankylosaur discovery at the oilsand plants. I was asked to meet up with him and show him the location. When we got there we took a look around and it was decided that the sediment was a form of glacial deposit and was geologically unimportant as a time period couldn't be affixed to the fossils.

In Alberta, the laws state that if you find fossils they are still the property of the province and that I am just a custodian of the specimen. Don Henderson, thankfully for me, decided that I was allowed to keep the fossils, which is cool with me. :D Now, also according to law, it is illegal to sell fossils without permission from the Government of Alberta. I'm not interested in selling the piece, but I am interested in knowing how much it is worth. If anyone could estimate a ball park figure that would be very appreciated.

The fossil using the orinetation of the picture is 4.25 inches high and about 3 inches wide at the centre of the coil. I have since sealed the fossil with Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear spray to prevent it from crumbling and protect it from the elements.

Thanks for any help, and I'm glad to be apart of this forum :)

post-7633-0-28311100-1325121602_thumb.jpg

Edited by Paperstraw

Is it illegal for me to view the attachment of the ammonite? :)

Beautiful colors, by the way.

And welcome to the forum.

Context is critical.

Is it illegal for me to view the attachment of the ammonite? :)

Beautiful colors, by the way.

And welcome to the forum.

:D I don't think so.... but you might want to keep an eye out.... :ninja:

Because it is interesting and I am curious?

Edited by Paperstraw

I'm with Rockwood in that I also doubt it would pay the fine... but the colors are nice and it makes a nice display piece. I'd refrain from using the Krylon in the future, though, because over time it's going to yellow.

broken fragments of ammonites with ammolite, unless they're great for display, would mainly only be useful to make jewelry out of. in my opinion, properly made jewelry from that sort of material would be made as doublets or triplets with clear quartz caps over the fragile thin later of shiny pretty ooh-ahh-ness. but for that most people want multiple colors of gorgeousnocity all bedazzling at once, and with no spray acrylic involved.

going generic on you for a moment, probably 92.4% of fossils people find derive the largest part of their "value" from the personal memory of finding them and being happy at that moment.

I don't know if people are afraid I'm going to sell it, because by all means, I'm not interested, and was just asking out of curiosity. If anything my curiosity was so great that it brought me to this great community to ask, so I'm thankful for it ;)

As for the spray acrylic, it was what was suggested to me, what do you guys suggest?

going generic on you for a moment, probably 92.4% of fossils people find derive the largest part of their "value" from the personal memory of finding them and being happy at that moment.

Tracer, I thought it was 92.467894% :rofl:

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

• 5 weeks later...

ive seen whole ammo's covered in ammolite, go for $15-$30,000 depending on size, and conditition of them. id say a ball park figure for your piece would be $3-$500.00 especially if you removed the krylon, and covered them in something else like opticon or epoxy.

ive seen whole ammo's covered in ammolite, go for $15-$30,000 depending on size, and conditition of them. id say a ball park figure for your piece would be $3-$500.00 especially if you removed the krylon, and covered them in something else like opticon or epoxy.

Whats that in Canadian currency Lord Piney?

Whats that in Canadian currency Lord Piney?

Somewhere between almost nothing and a chunk of change

I would think it would not be worth much, pieces of ammonites are not uncommon. Does that law pertain to only vertebrate fossils like Florida or to invertebrates also?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Good question... I'm not clear of all the ins and outs but I think you need a permit before you sell/export any fossil from Alberta, though elsewhere I read that they had to exempt invertebrates from the law requiring all fossils to be examined by an expert, but this may be only the case if you keep them and don't sell/export. Hope someone can clarify this for us, I'll monitor the thread just in case.