Weirdest Thing You've Seen While Hunting Fossils?

Paperstraw

He's actually the most massive of the group, since his gravitational field bent the sunlight around his legs. :)

Context is critical.

• 2 weeks later...
That is intense. I'm surprised he never shouted at you to identify yourself, or put your hands up, or even announce that he was with the Sheriff's department. Strange. More stories!

yeah that cop was afraid you wade out 100 ft into the shallow bay and he get his uniform wet

This would go under 'fossil buying' rather than 'fossil collecting', but anyway....

While still in high school, I stopped by a little shop at a Kansas City flea market called Bob's Bazaar Bizarre. He had some Elrathia trilobites and some other fossils in the display. I asked if he had more, and he pulled a few out from beneath the counter. He said he had more at home, but I just bought a couple that he had on hand. And that was that.

Well, a couple months later, Bob turned out to be a certain Bob Berdella:

http://en.wikipedia....Robert_Berdella

Mmmmmkay. I'm glad I was content with the trilobites he had in the shop....

Edited by Missourian

Context is critical.

One very cold winter day about 10 yrs ago I was at a fossil site here near Casper. It was a site that has also been used as a shooting range and a illegal public dump, esp of hunting carcasses. So there I was crawling on the ground looking for ammonites in concretions. I had just found a concretion and was exploring the area immediately around it. I looked up from my crawling postion and noticed a coyote about 6 feet away from me all curled up in a nice puppy dog ball. You know the kind pet dogs make after they circle three times. Naturally I jumped almost out of my skin... this was a little closer than I wanted to be to a sleeping wild dog. But then it became obvious that he/she was dead, and oh so peaceful. It had been about -20 degrees the night before and I suspect the poor critter just turned itself around in a circle three times and curled up to go to sleep and woke up dead. I was sad.

i was collecting some beach cliffs near la jolla, ca one day 3 yrs ago, turned around to head back, and saw that nekkidness was the dress code du jour, for both men and women... suddenly out of my element, i expedited myself up 500 feet of stairs up the cliffs and scrapped my ambitions of fossicking for the day...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

This would go under 'fossil buying' rather than 'fossil collecting', but anyway....

While still in high school, I stopped by a little shop at a Kansas City flea market called Bob's Bazaar Bizarre. He had some Elrathia trilobites and some other fossils in the display. I asked if he had more, and he pulled a few out from beneath the counter. He said he had more at home, but I just bought a couple that he had on hand. And that was that.

:o Oh my!

Oooh, you mean he was inviting you to go to his home??? That's a 'whew' moment if I ever heard one..

:o :o :o Just re-read that, Missourian, I didn't realise the implication first time.

Glad to see you didn't take him up on the offer.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

This is another reason I'm always friendly and polite when I encounter other collectors along my travels on the beach, near the cliffs, woods, etc. You just never know who it is you're dealing with.

Daryl.

Oooh, you mean he was inviting you to go to his home??? That's a 'whew' moment if I ever heard one..

It was a pretty routine and low-key encounter, but it is still a big what-if.

Context is critical.

This is not so much weird, it was just a suprise.. My son and I were looking threw some shell at the bottom of a creek and he yells Mom , don't move! Well of course I though of a rattlesnake or copperhead that live in our area. So very slowly I turned my head to see what was going to get me. It was a mama polecat (skunk) and her 5 little ones crossing a log about five feet from me. She looked at me and I looked at her , they went one way and we continued looking for fossils. But whoo that was a close stinky call.

Several years ago my good friend Brent (Boneman007) and I were popping up huge slabs of Kamp Ranch Limestone along a river bottom here in Texas. We had large pick axes, a huge crow bar, etc.with us. We worked for a long time popping slabs and picking teeth from them. After a while we both became muddy from head to foot. When we began to leave the river bottom, we both smelled, how can I say it politely...wacky tabacky. We climbed up over the river bank right into a crowd of high school kids who had gotten their trucks into what they thought was a secluded spot where they could do some smoking and drinking.

Here we come, huge implements of mass destruction in hand, covered in mud from head to toe. We got pretty close to them before Brent drawled in his best Deliverance voice, "How ya'll doing?". Now, Brent is a pretty big ole boy. Sometimes he scares me even when he is not muddy. I am pretty sure a couple of them probably soiled themselves there on the spot as one of them came to the forefront and said, "N-N-nothing, sir!". I am pretty sure they thought we just buried a body. It was really really funny!!!

:rofl: :ROFL:

I don't smoke or drink or anything, but I can definitely imagine that scenario! Hahahahaha!!!! :rofl: :ROFL: :rofl::D :D :P

Edited by Sinopaleus

This is not so much weird, it was just a suprise.. My son and I were looking threw some shell at the bottom of a creek and he yells Mom , don't move! Well of course I though of a rattlesnake or copperhead that live in our area. So very slowly I turned my head to see what was going to get me. It was a mama polecat (skunk) and her 5 little ones crossing a log about five feet from me. She looked at me and I looked at her , they went one way and we continued looking for fossils. But whoo that was a close stinky call.

Haha! At least nothing too bad happened.... :P

I was collecting a horizon just below the top of a mountain in Southern California when I was rocked by a gigantic boom. It was a fighter jet flying just above me. It was a little hard to concentrate for a while wondering when the next one might fly over.

Edited by malts

How about someone hiking out in the midday sun with only boots, backpack and hat :o

I thought you'd quit doing that... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

The weirdest i seen or experienced was an accident of an excavator beside me.

In the one minute i looked for fossils below where the excavator working,

then i walk a couple of meters away to make a smalltalk with an worker on this Highway construction site.

in the next minute there was a loud "boom", and the excavator had thrown down.

We rescued the excavator operator out of the cabin an stablized him, he was only light injured, but a ambulance bring him to a hospital immediately.

Whoooo this was very scary for me.

Because of this, i've learned, never be below an big workingmachine.

regards, Karl

post-7943-0-67314800-1329062377_thumb.jpg

post-7943-0-15399500-1329062833_thumb.jpg

post-7943-0-48901300-1329062850_thumb.jpg

post-7943-0-40234900-1329062864_thumb.jpg

I want to die sleeping like my grandfather, not screaming like his passenger!

The weirdest i seen or experienced was an accident of an excavator beside me.

then i walk a couple of meters away to make a smalltalk with an worker on this Highway construction site.

in the next minute there was a loud "boom", and the excavator had thrown down.

We rescued the excavator operator out of the cabin an stablized him, he was only light injured, but a ambulance bring him to a hospital immediately.

Whoooo this was very scary for me.

Because of this, i've learned, never be below an big workingmachine.

regards, Karl

Wow! That's scary. That's why the quarries and construction sites don't allow collectors on the sites around here.

Steve

How about an antique glass eye ending up in your screen,looking up at you?

Oh the stories it could tell...

Karl, did you happen to find any fossils while searching the area below the excavator?

Daryl.

Hi Daryl.

yes i did, but i am don't happy if i see that in my collection, it gives my a bad feeling, and remember me how fast can it be over.

Karl

I want to die sleeping like my grandfather, not screaming like his passenger!

!

OMG!! WOW!! DW you're still quite the hottie!! and Roz!!! how cute are you!!! Loved that pic!! Read the posts thought Dan and Weston being chased by helicopters was really something but as I am in the military...I hate to say that sometimes you realize stuff like that happens... Unfortunately... with working in the military or close to the military a person becomes less shocked or more insensitive to that... but as my mom happens to been an avid fan of every crime show that is ever on tv... that story about the serial killer and the trilobites made my stomach turn... YIKES!!! Relatively new to the forum... and this was a fantastic topic starter!! loved it!