Find Of A Lifetime - Finally Prepped!

Xiphactinus

Xiphactinus,....more kudos. :D:D:D Is Everhart going to feature "Bob" on the OOK website?

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Absolutely AMAZING!

I also want to hear the discovery story on this.

RAWR! I am zeee dead bobcat!

Incredible, Amazing, Gorgeous. Fantastic job! I'll bet you can't wait to get it on the wall, sit back with a cold one and just admire that masterpiece.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium

• 1 month later...
Man, I didn't saw your post until today, WOW and congratulations :applause:

Me too. Absolutely stunning. Beautiful prep job.

Flippin' fantastic!!!!

If you believe everything you read, perhaps it's time for you to stop reading...

.....................UMMMMMM...............UH...................................

...UHHHH............WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One of the great charms of paleontology is that one never knows what will turn up where, or who will find it."

Peter Dodson

Very impressive.You did a great job! Now we need to see it up on display.

I'd close the shop to go see that! :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very impressive.You did a great job! Now we need to see it up on display.

I know, I know.....Honestly, I'm more than a little intimidated to hang this baby. I'm working on the supports now. I'll post pictures when it's up. (And I'll be holding a nice cold one in the photo. Promise!)

Took 6 years from discovery to completion, but it's DONE!!!!

All 17 feet of the bad boy. Note the 4 foot drywall square for scale. The dark area in the middle is where I joined the last two pieces. It will lighten, but I couldn't wait the 3-4 days it will take to share the picture!!

17 foot Xiphactinus audax. Niobrara Chalk, Kansas

That is outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-23-1223516890.gif

It's my bone!!!

"Note the 4 foot drywall square for scale"

Man I hope to be able to say that someday,lol.

I can relate. lol lived in FL all my life (not saying much) never actually seen a fish fossil, other than shells or those for sale. lol.

Turok1copy.png

Took 6 years from discovery to completion, but it's DONE!!!!

All 17 feet of the bad boy. Note the 4 foot drywall square for scale. The dark area in the middle is where I joined the last two pieces. It will lighten, but I couldn't wait the 3-4 days it will take to share the picture!!

17 foot Xiphactinus audax. Niobrara Chalk, Kansas

One of the very best restorations I've ever seen. The largest restored "X" fish, also. You need to contact National Geographic, Discovery & Nova to see which one will do a documentary on your fantastic find & restoration project. You have done something that most of us only dream about. I have great admiration (& envy) for your talent & perserverence. Thank you for sharing.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

I remember reading about your find and work on it here and I must say the finished product is well worth the wait. I take my hat off to you and and kiss your feet you are a god that we can aspire to. That is something that most of us just dream about, but you did it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the kind words, folks!! :wub:

Seriously, any time any of you are in the St. Louis area, shoot me a line and come over for a visit!

Thanks for all the kind words, folks!! :wub:

Seriously, any time any of you are in the St. Louis area, shoot me a line and come over for a visit!

Your fossil is what I would call a "destination piece"; seeing that fish would not be a side-trip, it would be my reason for going!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

As they say on South Park " you basterd" me what one of those are you going to put it on EBAY lol

Your work needs to be recognised, it is an achievment that ranks up there with the best!

Well, done you should feel very proud of yourself, I know I would!

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Wow! Things like that remind me why I love fossils....

You might need another Golden Drool Bucket after I am done gawking.

Very Nice.... I am certainly awed!

"To do is to be." -Socrates

"People are Stupid." -Wizard's First Rule

"Happiness is a warm Jeep." -Auspex

hey, xfishman (sorry, can't spel ya, and that's a factinus) - you need to just permanently set reminders in your cellphone or pda or computer calendar to reply to this thread once a month and repost the pics. c'mon, just do it. it's just not right for people to have to stumble around the forum not knowing that fossil and those pics are lurking around here.