Which Artiodactyla Is It?

Shellseeker

I'm calling Capromeryx on this one. As far as why, it's a little hard to explain. Their teeth remind you a lot of a deer tooth that is "taller" than normal....Also, the chewing surface has a different look to it that your tooth has.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png

Thanks much for the IDs --- Another 1st for my collection. I will have to stock up on individual riker boxes. I just "felt" it was not deer, which I find more frequently than Llama-Camel.

Here is a pattern tooth, found in 2010, which I use to ID Deer molar. It is larger than this newly found antelope tooth -- the coin is a quarter rather than a dime. The butresses are more robust on the antelope and the width of the crown from chewing surface to root, is narrow on the deer molar and the demarcation between crown and root more pronounced.

I did not know what this new tooth was, but felt it was not deer. SS

post-2220-0-02274800-1326039194_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Shellseeker . . .

You are comparing lower (antelope) to upper (deer) tooth. That's not very useful when making species distinctions between selenodont artiodactyls.

...the width of the crown from chewing surface to root, is narrow...

This is called the crown "height," usually not a strong character in making distinctions such as this one. These dimensions vary greatly from upper to lower teeth in the individual artiodactyl. The dimensions which are usually more useful are crown length and crown width of comparable tooth position.

...the demarcation between crown and root...

This is not very useful.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

Shellseeker . . .

You are comparing lower (antelope) to upper (deer) tooth. That's not very useful when making species distinctions between selenodont artiodactyls.

This is called the crown "height," usually not a strong character in making distinctions such as this one. These dimensions vary greatly from upper to lower teeth in the individual artiodactyl. The dimensions which are usually more useful are crown length and crown width of comparable tooth position.

This is not very useful.

Do you, or anyone else out there have photos of upper capromeryx molars? I have quite a few teeth, but I believe they are all lowers. There's nothing more useful than being able to compare photos of similar teeth side by side.

Thanks to all for expert IDs, discussion and comparative photos... Am I seeig this incorrectly, or does this tooth have more similarities with the photos of cf. Hemiauchenia (Camel-Llama) provided by Harry,

post-2220-0-00396000-1326070526_thumb.jpg

post-2220-0-47908800-1326070812_thumb.jpg

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Like Harry mentioned, it's very hard to compare upper molars (Harry's photo) with lower molars (your tooth). Here's a picture of a lower capromeryx molar in my collection:

CLICK HERE

-Cris

I think I made a mistake in identifying the small artiodactyl upper as an antelope tooth. The more I study it, the more this tooth looks to be a deciduous camel tooth. I have edited the caption on the image to reflect this better identification. Sorry if I mis-led anyone.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest