Carboniferous Fossil

miraspis

Hi,

I have problem with following fossil (Carboniferous (Mississippian)/Namur).post-7511-0-91031500-1328959671_thumb.jpg

There are different pieces of carboniferous flora such as Sphenopteridium silesiacum PATTEISKY post-7511-0-59591100-1328959742_thumb.jpg.

The others are unidentifiable. First, I looked on the big piece in the center and I though it is just some rest of Calamites stem. But when I looked closer it looks strange for me. Do you have any idea what it could be?

post-7511-0-31263100-1328959973_thumb.jpg

post-7511-0-00082300-1328959918_thumb.jpg

The locality contains mixture of terrestrial and marine flora and fauna. Given horizon can also contain rests of Arthropleura (TRACHEATA/DIPLOPODA) and Palaeodictyoptera (TRACHEATA/INSECTA).

Thanks,

Adam.

Edited by miraspis

I have no real solid ID, but, it does look arthropod-ish to me.

Real cool, as is the plant on it as well! B)

Hope some of the experts here weigh in soon.

Regards,

Edited by Fossildude19

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I think it is quite possibly a fragment of Arthropleura (from the underside). :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I agree it looks like a piece of arthropod cuticle. One odd thing is that the parallel ridges aren't actually boundaries of segments (such as segments of an abdomen), but are "wrinkles" where the cuticle is folded. It's odd that these wrinkles are so regularly spaced, to give the impression of segmentation that isn't really present. I have no idea what could do that.

Don

Thank you for your opinions! Now I see it could be something extraordinry indeed. I will take it to the local museum...

Adam.

Very interesting and great find , Im green with envy :greenwnvy: :)

"A man who stares at a rock must have a lot on his mind... or nothing at all'

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps this is post facto but I have some calimites pieces that would convince you of its calimityness , very anthropodish. My camera is doa at the moment however. I believe I identified them through some Google images pics. The "C" tree has some very interesting alter egos. John

I'm interested to find out what your expert says. Looks to me to be a poorly preserved Calamites section. The regularly spaced, raised "bumps" appear to part of a node.

So the final result...

I'm interested to find out what your expert says. Looks to me to be a poorly preserved Calamites section. The regularly spaced, raised "bumps" appear to part of a node.

You are right. According the palaeontologist from the national museum in Prague it is badly preserved Calamariophyllum (or Equisetites) - Calamites leafs growing from the Calamites' nods... Arthropleura next time...

Adam.