3D Leaf Fossils

bdevey

Don't mind if I crop and enhance a bit; trying to get a good look at the middle one - but still not sure what I'm looking at...

Here's a better image, I think its a Pinus bud.

post-4158-0-34557700-1329165568_thumb.jpg

Nice photo Bob and good ID on a nifty inflorescence (catkin).

I'm wondering what the other flora is next to it? ...looks like it may be Poaceae (grass).

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Agreed with Scott on poaceae...

Amazingly very detailed 3D preservation, Bob :o Good they split easily, not so good they are more friable than necessary. Having this in mind, I think trere are possibilities for even better results next time ;) In my next trip I'll look for a cop first... :P:D

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Eric, Scott and Astron...Thanks for the comments and in case you missed it, there are close ups of the two pieces in post #14. I have been studying them, and I think it is grass! Yea.... Here is a closer up image of a previous piece.

post-4158-0-21632100-1329185282_thumb.jpg

This next piece, I have not posted yet, to me it Screams grass :) . It has some damage, Insect? decay?

post-4158-0-02712800-1329185385_thumb.jpg

Thanks Carmine,

Here is another pic,...I was hopeing for grass at first, but looks like sequoia or metasequoia?post-4158-0-82174900-1329026662_thumb.jpg

{Carmine note the back ground, anything look familiar? thanks agian, I just bought a new camera, will post some photos soon.}

yes, I see them now Bob, hi guys, how was the trip? :), and have besn enjoying the plant fossil closeups also...:)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

How exciting!!!!!! Amazing! Wonderful finds!!!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

terrific resolution Bob, thanks for making this video :)

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

Seeing the video I realized better how difficult it is to display in the pics this unusual but so nice preservation :wub:

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Sure does look like grass, tho I'm no expert. Congrats anyway!

I wonder what that long smooth leaf is in the video.

Sure does look like grass, tho I'm no expert. Congrats anyway!

I wonder what that long smooth leaf is in the video.

I have tried to id it with no luck yet. At 11 cm long It is the largest I have found at the site.

post-4158-0-88552300-1329701692_thumb.jpg

I have been enjoying looking at the little bits, the first one is only 2mm wide, its also in the upper left of the second photo.

post-4158-0-42051500-1329702732_thumb.jpg. post-4158-0-83669300-1329702820_thumb.jpg

Thank you so much for showing this video! My little hands would have been shaking trying to take that video. That fossil is SOOO impressive!!!

A million Congratulations!!!!

Also EXCELLENT additional finds!!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Great finds! Congratulations, and nice video, too. Yes, those are something to crow about!

Edited by Bullsnake

Steve

Does this woody piece look familiar to anyone? It kinda looks like a thin piece of bark, or maybe part of a cone?

post-4158-0-55825600-1329703116_thumb.jppost-4158-0-26500000-1329703248_thumb.jp

It reminds me of "bark" from the base of a palm frond.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Another fantastic haul and the plate with the catkins and grass is top-notch. Is this exposure late Eocene to early Oligocene? My guess on the other specimen would be something closer to Equisetum with the uppermost portion representing a disconnected node. Unfortunately there are not that many references for the southern Cascades fossil flora.

Thanks for posting these wonderful examples Bob :D

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Another fantastic haul and the plate with the catkins and grass is top-notch. Is this exposure late Eocene to early Oligocene? My guess on the other specimen would be something closer to Equisetum with the uppermost portion representing a disconnected node. Unfortunately there are not that many references for the southern Cascades fossil flora.

Thanks for posting these wonderful examples Bob :D

The site very well could be lower Oligocene, but unlikely Eocene. Thanks for the Equisetum, fox tail ID, Lol. I didn't think of that. :)

• 4 weeks later...

Nice fossils! I especially enjoyed the site pictures. I really like seeing the places where others are able to find fossils.

I enjoy site seeing also :D , so on a return trip, I took a little video to share.

Thanks for showing the site Bob!

Your latest finds and video are terrific, and I truly enjoy seeing where peple hunt - looks like a neat place. :)

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me