3D Leaf Fossils

bdevey

another picturesque setting to collect, very sweet spot Bob!

Carmine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

being one of the happy recipients of a sample of these 3D Leaf Fossils, I'd like to share a few shots of it.These leaves could not look any crisper!

thanks again Bob! :)

Carmine

post-4577-0-47928900-1332165074_thumb.jpg

post-4577-0-77310000-1332165078_thumb.jpg

Edited by xonenine

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

I just remembered that I found something similar years ago in the cretaceous of Blankenburg.

Credneria zenkeri var acuminata, the original deciduous genus,

post-2384-0-92816600-1332177562_thumb.jpg

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Amazing! Thank you for sharing.

Any thoughts on stabilization and preservation for display?

Well, Pretty much super glue the fractures. Sadly at first, some nice ones fell apart because they were very fractured. So I quickly learned to take super glue up the hill with me as I collect and glue them on the spot, Just to get some of them down the hill in one piece. As far as display I'm triming them, so they stand up right. Like this.........post-4158-0-13784300-1332210185_thumb.jpg

Missed out on this until now. Thanks for sharing!

I'm glad you didn't miss my hunt! :) ..love your piece. It looks alot like what I've been finding at this site.

Bob

Edited by bdevey

being one of the happy recipients of a sample of these 3D Leaf Fossils, I'd like to share a few shots of it.These leaves could not look any crisper!

thanks again Bob! :)

They are crisp, I have stepped on a few :D ....Thanks Carmine.

Bob

I'm glad you didn't miss my hunt! :) ..love your piece. It looks alot like what I've been finding at this site.

Bob

One happy difference to your finds is that the matrix and leaves are stable. No need for super glue.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Well, Pretty much super glue the fractures. Sadly at first, some nice ones fell apart because they were very fractured. So I quickly learned to take super glue up the hill with me as I collect and glue them on the spot, Just to get some of them down the hill in one piece. As far as display I'm triming them, so they stand up right. Like this.........post-4158-0-13784300-1332210185_thumb.jpg

Superb!!! Way to go Bob B)

And the super glue in our bags ;)

Astrinos P. Damianakis

Nice presentation! What exactly are you using to trim them?

This specimen:

post-423-0-06860500-1332281581_thumb.jpg

is just about the neatest leaf fossil I have had the pleasure to view :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

So are these preserved in volcanic ash? That would account for the lovely preservation and 3-d nature of your wonderful fossils. It would also provide an opportunity to date the fossils.

Superb!!! Way to go Bob B)

And the super glue in our bags ;)

Yep...Don't leave home without it :D

Thanks, Astron

This specimen:

post-423-0-06860500-1332281581_thumb.jpg

is just about the neatest leaf fossil I have had the pleasure to view :wub:

Wow Thanks, Auspex,

I am proud of it, I searched for about 6 months for an unknown plant site, and I was well rewarded.

bob

Nice presentation! What exactly are you using to trim them?

Thanks Eric.

I first soaked it in water, so that it wouldn't soak up much oil and be much easer to clean. I used a 6in trim saw very much like this one.......post-4158-0-27802600-1332293466_thumb.jpg

Bob

So are these preserved in volcanic ash? That would account for the lovely preservation and 3-d nature of your wonderful fossils. It would also provide an opportunity to date the fossils.

Yeah it is, I have been working on better dating the site. And I'm now thinking it may be in the Roxy Formation, But I have more homework to do. When I'm sure, I will post. Thanks

Bob

Yeah it is, I have been working on better dating the site. And I'm now thinking it may be in the Roxy Formation, But I have more homework to do. When I'm sure, I will post. Thanks

Bob

That is a spectacular specimen Bob :D

Just by coincidence I'm cataloging some Clarno plants with identical preservation. When I inquired the consensus is preservation by a mud-flow event. The result is a lack of any apparent bedding plane. I also have a few examples collected from Goshen that are a complete juxtapositional jumble. wacko.gif:P

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Thanks Eric.

I first soaked it in water, so that it wouldn't soak up much oil and be much easer to clean. I used a 6in trim saw very much like this one.......post-4158-0-27802600-1332293466_thumb.jpg

Bob

Ah, I have similar one, but the necessity of water or oil has kept me from using it on my shale which crumbles at the sight of water. For that I have bought some abrasive blades (cut-anything type) but haven't yet found the right machine to attach them to! I understand there are also diamond blades for dry use.

That is a spectacular specimen Bob :D

Just by coincidence I'm cataloging some Clarno plants with identical preservation. When I inquired the consensus is preservation by a mud-flow event. The result is a lack of any apparent bedding plane. I also have a few examples collected from Goshen that are a complete juxtapositional jumble. wacko.gif:P

Thanks Scott,

I was thinking something like a Lahar, would make sense. Plus after an hour going up and down the hill , I look as if I was in a mudflow :P . If at all possable, It would be cool to see a pic or two, of What your working on.

Bob

Edited by bdevey

A Lahar certainly qualifies as an ashy mud-flow event :o:P There is one large Platanus that caught my attention as it is folded over and around the matrix. If I get the opportunity I will post a few photos.

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

• 9 years later...

Bumping up an old hunt because,

I recently returned to this site, thought I would share some new finds. 

452244909_A20211024_125545-Copy.thumb.jpg.6475f94659f8de2fca4f9358db8a3f04.jpg