Weird Day...Teeth ID

Kivo1991

Half a year ago in Poland on holiday ( i used to live in Poland, but I moved to UK ) I was going for a walk with friends when my one of my friend's suddenly saw a weird "stone" which turned out to be a tooth. We couldn't take it out so one of my friends went to get a shovel ( he lived nearby ) and so we started digging. Then we saw this giant tooth! I We were all in shock! it was just a normal pathway covered with normal stones. Then we decided to dig futher and there was more teeth in the ground! I was amazed as I couldnt find any other types of fossils ( where I used to live ) than annoying Ammonites. After few hours we found many teeth and also weird looking claws?

Anyway can anybody identify them? I dont think they are Cave bear fossils as when I typed in on google images "poland cave bear teeth/fossils" they looked much different. They are about 7-10cm long and the claws about the same size.

HELP!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/190/dscn1337v.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/46/dscn1330p.jpg/

I believe you found the final resting place of a horse.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Canine teeth, incisors, molars...no claws there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

First photo where my finger is next to, do horse have such things? o.o How big must have been the horse with such teeth?

Sorry that I posting this everywhere but i really need to find out what it is :S

I've merged and deleted; hard to keep up! :P

Thank You :) Sorry I didnt know how to delete the previous ones :) Do you know what is the fossil that my finger is next to on the first photo? Doesnt look like any kind of a horse tooth to me, but i might be wrong :P

I would say horse teeth too and for sure no claws in the photos

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

If you Google "horse dentition", it will be quite illuminating!

Hmm...okay but what type of tooth is on the first photo that my finger is next too? Is it even a tooth ? It looks much different from the others and it is also more curved... anybody can predict how old the fossils could be ? roughly? btw thank you for so quick replies!

These are roughly modern remains.

I definitely agree that you're dealing with horse remains. The upper teeth and lower teeth of horses are quite different in shape (uppers are roughly square while lowers are roughly rectangular). The one that your finger is next to in the second picture is a LOWER horse tooth. Being the grazers (grass-eaters) that they are, horses wear their teeth down very quickly because grasses are quite abrasive...hence the need for such 'hypsodont' (high-crowned) teeth. As for the age...from everything that I can see, the remains you found belong to the genus Equus which has representatives from today's modern horse to Pleistocene (ice age).

-Joe

Illigitimati non carborundum

Fruitbat's PDF Library

Pictures are not loading for me. Any way to upload to the forum

Here you go:

post-423-0-28812400-1329260985_thumb.jpg

That pic hosting site has some pretty aggressive pop-up ads anyway. :angry:

There's a bovid molar in the picture as well. Cow or bison.

Dang u beat me to it. There is a cow tooth in there and just looking at photos I would say that they "look" old. I wouldn't toss them out or be upset because they may be 100s of years old.

Mikey

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

Interesting... so Im guessing that there were few animals buried in the same place... shame that we couldnt find the skull... when I will go on holiday to Poland again in a month or so, I will dig more there and maybe find something more.

Edited by Kivo1991

Hmm I dont think that Pig has such big teeth but maybe a wild boar? Those 3 "claws" which im still not sure how they are horse teeth on the FIRST picture, really look like wild boar tusks, im looking on google images right now and on some pictures they look very similar.

Edited by Kivo1991