Everyday Carry Field Kit

mikecable

I carry for road cut emergencies. Small back pack, rock hammer with chisel tip to split shale, asst. size plastic bags, aluminum foil, small notebook (3"x4" or so) black med.tip permanent dry marker, hand lens,gloves, pocket size first aid kit. Anything else can be in the car, remember anything you carry in has to come back out plus the weight of the fossils. Too much to carry generates "leverites". Hope this helps.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

This topic has brought up some questions--which is a good thing. If you had to choose one hammer would you choose a pick tip or chisel tip? Both in the car, and choose on the spot? I don't own a chisel tip hammer. Do I need one, or is my pick tip and a chisel sufficient? Estwing or Harbor Freight cheapie?

Indy!! A portable gasoline powered water pump!! Every water pump I've ever used takes 2 men and a boy to lift it.You have got to be kidding! How big of a vehicle do you put this stuff in? You're like another guy I know, I'll bet you have a portable rock saw in there too. Pays to be prepared. :D

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

This topic has brought up some questions--which is a good thing. If you had to choose one hammer would you choose a pick tip or chisel tip? Both in the car, and choose on the spot? I don't own a chisel tip hammer. Do I need one, or is my pick tip and a chisel sufficient? Estwing or Harbor Freight cheapie?

I don't own a rock hammer but might at some point. I do own several chisels. You always buy good hammers so you don't have one break and send metal chips into your face.Yes it does happen. I carry an Estwing and that is the only one i will carry. I use them at work, too.

Wherever I go here in eastern NC, I have on hand a small and large 1/4 inch screen, a large 1/2 screen. Shovels, claw type rake and hand rake. Buckets, baggies, small tins lined with bubble wrap for special teeth. Also rags, TP (very important.. lol) hammer, chisel, brush for cleaning. and plenty of water.

Bulldozers and dirt Bulldozers and dirt
behind the trailer, my desert
Them red clay piles are heaven on earth
I get my rocks off, bulldozers and dirt

Patterson Hood; Drive-By Truckers

image.png.0c956e87cee523facebb6947cb34e842.png May 2016  MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png.b42a25e3438348310ba19ce6852f50c1.png May 2012 IPFOTM5.png.fb4f2a268e315c58c5980ed865b39e1f.png.1721b8912c45105152ac70b0ae8303c3.png.2b6263683ee32421d97e7fa481bd418a.pngAug 2013, May 2016, Apr 2020 VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png.af5065d0585e85f4accd8b291bf0cc2e.png.72a83362710033c9bdc8510be7454b66.png.9171036128e7f95de57b6a0f03c491da.png Oct 2022

Indy!! A portable gasoline powered water pump!! Every water pump I've ever used takes 2 men and a boy to lift it.You have got to be kidding! How big of a vehicle do you put this stuff in? You're like another guy I know, I'll bet you have a portable rock saw in there too. Pays to be prepared. :D

Here's a picture of a friend holding my portable water pump. As you can see it's small

but it does the job...for sure. Yes, I also have a portable rock saw.

post-6417-0-72149300-1329438059_thumb.jpg

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

...the man pressure-washes exposures!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

i used to bring a pack of smokes with me, but these days i travel light! lol.

I still carry the pack of smokes. I should know better.

I still carry the pack of smokes. I should know better.

2 lighters is a must for me, just in case one goes missing, or runs out of fuel...

"Your serpent of Egypt is bred now of your mud by the operation of your sun; so is your crocodile." Lepidus

...the man pressure-washes exposures!

post-423-0-92615900-1329442666_thumb.jpg

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

In the Midwest...

Some say this is "cheating" :P

post-6417-0-45502900-1329397324_thumb.jpg

Portable gasoline powered water pumb

If I'm going to the river...I take the rain with me B)

Is that one of those fancy two cycle pumps? Bill just got one and is itching to try it out.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

My motto is "Pack Everything" B)

post-6417-0-73999900-1329311565_thumb.jpg

Unpack what ya need :)

Indy, Can you tell me more about this saw or show me a closer-up pic? I've been wondering where to find something like this for trimming matrix off my larger chunks. I've got some 7" abrasive blades with about a 5/16ths" hole, but no saw to put them on so far.. wondering if there is such as saw similar to yours that will accommodate these.

Indy, Can you tell me more about this saw or show me a closer-up pic? I've been wondering where to find something like this for trimming matrix off my larger chunks. I've got some 7" abrasive blades with about a 5/16ths" hole, but no saw to put them on so far.. wondering if there is such as saw similar to yours that will accommodate these.

The field rock saw in question is a home-made conversion from a weed whacker.

My friend no longer converts these to rock saws for several reasons and one of

the reasons is the weed whacker manufacturers keep changing shafts and he had

to have them made to order.

There have been a number of threads on rock saws...This one (being smaller) than

most fits the niche for being light-weight so easy to carry in field. It cuts slower than

most but they can be easily slung over the shoulder and taken anywhere. They also

cut in any position and even under water.

Here are 3 close-up pictures of my friend using an older version

post-6417-0-46745900-1329486954_thumb.jpg

post-6417-0-62520100-1329486960_thumb.jpg post-6417-0-61146300-1329486970_thumb.jpg

In a previous picture there is a water spray bottle next to the back-pack and

what is not in the picture is a gallon jug of water. We spray matrix of interest

with a fine mist which duplicates the appearance after a rain...fossils are much

easier to see when the matrix is wet. We Take the Rain with us :)

MAPS Fossil Show

John and I both have rock hammers. We didn't get Estwing because I knew there was always a chance that John would lose one somewhere remote. We were hunting with a "professional", when he noticed John's handle was slipping off the metal shaft. He advised us to take the rubber off, fill it with silicone caulk, jam the hammer back in and leave it overnight. We did that to both ours and it's worked like a charm. With that alteration, I no longer have Estwing envy. Now, if only *I* had not lost my 3lb. sledge along the bank of North Sulphur River!

Anna and John

SE Oklahoma

____________________________________________________________________________________

"Life is an occasion, rise to it."

--Mr. Magorium, "Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium"

http://​www.johnsdiscoveries.com

Extremely interesting topic :)

What we pack for a fossil hunt does depend on the locality we will be hunting.

If were going to a river to hunt shark teeth...there's no need for a rock saw.

However...EVERYONE should pack a Camera to take pictures to share

with the membership. Not just pics of fossils but pics of the locality.

:pic:

MAPS Fossil Show

Extremely interesting topic :)

What we pack for a fossil hunt does depend on the locality we will be hunting.

If were going to a river to hunt shark teeth...there's no need for a rock saw.

However...EVERYONE should pack a Camera to take pictures to share

with the membership. Not just pics of fossils but pics of the locality.

:pic:

When I remember the camera I often get too caught up in the hunt and forget to take pictures. We're going to try and head out to Jacksboro on Sunday. I'll try and remember to take pics.

When I remember the camera I often get too caught up in the hunt and forget to take pictures.

We're going to try and head out to Jacksboro on Sunday. I'll try and remember to take pics.

Stopping to take pictures during a fossil hunt (at the time) seems to distract from the hunt.

However, later after sharing pictures with the membership...you will be glad you took a few

minutes to take some pictures.

Taking time to take pictures in the field...is important not only to share with others...but as a

personal archive for reflection in the future. Can't tell you how many times I've said to myself

"Oh, I wish I had taken pictures of this or that"

Think of a fossil hunt as a vacation...Vacation pictures are always of personal interest.

Pictures of fossils found in the field...Sure...However, pictures of the LOCALITY is

Equally of interest and locality photos gives us a sense of place and pleasant personal

reflections when viewed in the future.

MAPS Fossil Show

...What we pack for a fossil hunt does depend on the locality we will be hunting...

Case in point: for Virginia's Calvert & St. Mary's formations, all I needed was water, a nail apron, and a hiking stick (and forgetting any/all was not a trip ender).

The Devonian site at Gore, VA needed water, rock hammer, chisel, beer flats, and newspaper.

My Pennsylvanian strip mine site on the Allegheny Plateau called for a wheel barrow. ;)

As I am trying to learn everything possible about fossils... fossil collecting, fossil prepping, fossil nomenclature... For me- the most important tool that I want all of you on the fossil forum carrying is a CAMERA! What helps me the most when I go fossil hunting with my favorite fossil hunter, DW, is when he stops me and says... "Hey come look at this!" As someone new at this hobby, it is incredibly difficult to know what to look for when visualizing how a fossil presents! When he shows me what I need to look for in the field, it makes all the difference in the world!

Additionally, as a new fossil hunter... wish I could tell peeps about the best tools... but can offer a few suggestions- bubble wrap- love bubble wrap... and some of this stuff has been around for thousands of years and doesn't it just stink when an incompetent fossil hunter completely breaks it... (ummm.. not that has ever happened to me or anything...) also a big fan of bags--- any bags because invariably a fossil hunter runs out of pockets when they think it is going to be an unproductive hunt... I am a big fan of backpacks... many of the locations where I hunt would not be amenable to a carrier other than me (heehee or DW...) or my body... ie when on a hill... I have stuff I want to collect and isn't it nice when you can just reach and shove the finding into a pack as opposed to running all the way down to a boat... a container...whatever...

Edited by NatureGalTx

Oh, OK thanks Indy, I guess I wasn't seeing the whole machine in that earlier pic, but i had seen your weedwhacker before. I'm still looking for a handheld saw that will take these blades - something like an angle grinder with the handle parallel and close to the blade for stability, but that can take a 7" blade.

Also you're right about the camera, I have taken pics at my local hill but should go up there and take some proper site pics if only for my own future records, stratigraphy etc, (even if other collectors have done the same) because the hillside will soon be developed. Maybe once the weather gets better or in the summer when the sun is more on the north face of the mtn, if I can put it off that long (there is already one house going up)..

Some don't post locality pictures when posting found fossils thinking others might

only be interested in seeing fossils. I'm positive that I'm not the only one who would

be interested in seeing locality field photos along with images of found fossils. These

photos give viewers a sense of place and are very interesting. So...when posting

fossils found at the hill...tossing in a few locality pictures would be appreciated :)

MAPS Fossil Show

Thanks, Indy!! I am in total agreement!! It is extremely helpful! Sometimes I have overlooked stuff that I thought was wood or simply another rock. It also helps to see the layer that the fossil of interest is typcially found! (ummm...ok...world me...world me... all you fossil forum members post pictures of the hunt to help us out there trying to find fossils before you find them...: :D jk...well kinda...)