Everyday Carry Field Kit

mikecable

Indy you are right about the camera. Pictures of the site are inportant, especially now that I don't remember as well about fossils I collected 5 years age. My girlfriend took an unplanned bath in the Potomac river one day while looking for sharks teeth. Drained out the water and blow dried it and it is still working (I can't shoot pictures of water with it for some reason tho?)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

BTY, on chisel tip rock hammers vs pick tips. You can't hit your finger while holding a chisel when you use the chisel tip. (you can but I'm sure you get my drift)

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

BTY, on chisel tip rock hammers vs pick tips. You can't hit your finger while holding a chisel

when you use the chisel tip. (you can but I'm sure you get my drift)

So I guess a small First Aid Kit would be a good idea to pack :P

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Some don't post locality pictures when posting found fossils thinking others might

only be interested in seeing fossils. I'm positive that I'm not the only one who would

be interested in seeing locality field photos along with images of found fossils. These

photos give viewers a sense of place and are very interesting. So...when posting

fossils found at the hill...tossing in a few locality pictures would be appreciated :)

Thank you. :)

Context is critical.

Some don't post locality pictures when posting found fossils thinking others might

only be interested in seeing fossils. I'm positive that I'm not the only one who would

be interested in seeing locality field photos along with images of found fossils. These

photos give viewers a sense of place and are very interesting. So...when posting

fossils found at the hill...tossing in a few locality pictures would be appreciated :)

Unless its their Honeyhole then I presume they would keep the locality a secret.. :) I know I would :) Just saying... Jeff/Tarheel

Unless its their Honeyhole then I presume they would keep the locality a secret....

Most only post location as "County/State" so field photos wouldn't point to

specific "honey-holes" or sensitive sites. There are ways to frame photos

so not to include land-marks in the pictures ;)

Here's a locality shot that some members of our forum would recognize

because they hunted it before. However, there is nothing in the picture

that would put an X on the map

post-6417-0-92456900-1329579694_thumb.jpg

Rule of thumb: No one should feel pressure to post field photos that might

reveal specific location of their sensitive sites :)

Edited by Indy

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Kim up here in NC a day in the creek and our backs and hands and whatnot are pushed to the limits. I know from my own experience that a day or two after I dig in the creek I walk and or get out of a chair like I am much, much older..:( I have 2 bad verts in my back one at neck area and the other right at my pelvic area. I keep asking myself do I want to keep punishing myself like this, the answer is always YES.:) Jeff/Tarheel

I totally understand Jeff :)

Amazing what we will do in the name of fossils :)

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

As I found out yesterday-when you buy new batteries for the gps, make sure and put them in your pocket, and don't leave them in the back of the truck.

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Thanks for this helpful site pics posting facts.....dont wanna expose "Nautiloid Bay"... :)

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

Stuff I keep in the car at all times:

• Tow rope
  • Large first aid kit
  • Hand held GPS + batteries

Depending on the time of year I take the same kit but different amounts of water:

• water
  • sunblock
  • huge cool box with drinks + food
  • big floppy hat
  • Polaroid sunglasses
  • hammer
  • magnet for testing prospective meteorites (I know they are not all magnetic)

I forgot to mention that I never hunt on my own, minimum of 2 cars.

I also utilise a life skill learned over many years and several injuries. I don't do anything really stupid.

CHEERS

Edited by Jocky

• 8 months later...

I carry an emergency whistle in my field pack. If it is dangerous going I put it around my neck :) We don't get cell reception in many areas down in these valleys. I always tell my husband where I am going and what time to expect me back.

And I always have a brimmed hat, that is very important for me.

I've learned a lot reading through this thread. Thank you ALL!

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

I know that site only because I just posted photos of it lol.

I love that place so beautiful.

Robert
Southeast, MO

If I listened to my doctors, I'd be hiding in my closet afraid to go out!

If I listened to my doctors, I'd be hiding in my closet afraid to go out!

Heard that.I've out lived 4 Cardiologist,and 2 theparist from a small stroke.

Bear-dog.

2 things many forget.Medicine bottles,the same size with the double type lids so you can keep them together.Toilet paper.You can pack delicate fossils in the bottles.Also the T.P. helps with the paperwork should you need it.

Bear-dog.

• 4 weeks later...

To add to the list, I alway carry at least 6 to 10 - 20 kilogram bags. These I find make carrying large ammonites a lot easier and if you are in an area where they are all you do is place them in a bag and return with the ute as they are quite easy to see. The other use and the most common for me is that I always fill them with matrix for seiving later on and they stack better than buckets and are easier to carry.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Enjoyed reading a lot of these post. What I take with me is really simple. I have a pocket knife and a 3 inch folding knife. I carry these items with me everywhere I go. A lot of times when I hunt, it is on the spur of the moment. If I plan, I take some type of container or a bag to haul my items in. I did add in the back of my car, a pair of rubber boots. I can actually walk through the mud with out the worry of cleaning my shoes before I get back in the vehicle. In the winter time, I do sift sometimes. Then I have a shovel and a siffter. I don't sift during the summer because of aligators! :)

• 1 month later...

I just received a pair of these gloves

http://www.amazon.co...s00_i00_details

which got me to thinking about what items I need in to keep in an everyday carry field bag. Not the things you might carry on a specifically planned trip (sledges, shovels, sieves, backhoes, dynomite, etc), but the things you might want if you just happen to be driving down a backroad and see an interesting roadcut.

Imagine this scenario--great roadcut and you end up hiking a half-mile from the car. What field gear could you not live without--that you would curse the fossil gods had you left it in the car, or worse back at home?

I joke with my wife that she can pack enough makeup and hair products for a weekend trip and that I could spend a summer in Europe with the same amount of gear. But the truth is I tend to be a bit OCD myself when I start planning this kind of field kit. I end up with a field surgery kit, topo maps for the entire North American Continent, two weeks worth of MREs, 8 gallons of water, bivy shelter, firearms and 18 different ways to start a fire. That's before I add the fossil hunting gear. So at that point I need at least one mule or a pack of sled dogs.

Help me pare down an essential carry kit to 10 to 20 lbs.

Being from the UK, were you being serious about the dynamite?

Progress of my fossil cleaning can be found on my Instagram feed

http://instagram.com/gbfossils

YouTube for fossil collecting and prep videos 

https://www.youtube.com/user/GBFossils

I always carry a 14lb sledge, hickory handle, the plastic handled ones are rubbish, you just don't get a good connection on the rocks with one. I find when using a sledge you need to electric tape the first 12inch and the last 12inch, use plenty of tape, this seems to stop them from splitting. ( last trip out my hammer split while 2 miles away from the car, while smashing blocks, just because i forgot to tape it, R.I.P Bertha) The ever trusty Estwing Geological hammer, a 4lb lump and selection of around 4 chisels, fingerless gloves, eye protection, food, drink, first aid, phone and after reading this a roll of tin foil! I use a Swiss army issue rucksack, it has sturdy leather bottom and straps and a back strap across the bottom with a hard back so the rocks don't dig in when you walk. Think i might look into making a trolly, if anyone has any diy plans for one please pm me or guide me to a thread, still learning the ropes with the forum format.

Dan

In a perfect world, this is what I would have in my field kit: (usually, I forget at least 1/4 of these things and have to double back to get them)

- Tin foil

- Rock hammer

- Small chisels

- Plastic bags of all sizes

- Sweet tea

- Medicine bottles

- Superglue

- Cell phone

- Notebook

I keep buckets, flats, my nice camera, laptop, gps, pry bars, sledges, picks, and shovels in the vehicle.

There are a lot of good ideas in this post. I will be making use!

-Gabe

I like crinoids......

You'll never catch me anywhere in the field without my handheld GPS or smartphone, and my S&W 9mm.

Are the weapons for wild animals or to settle fossil right disputes? :-)

Being from the UK, were you being serious about the dynamite?

Mostly in jest. But I could see using dynamite in a private caliche quarry--with the landowner's permission of course.

Depending on the hunting situation a small mirror (easily found in the wife's purse) may be helpful in signaling for help, and starting fires. :)

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

• 3 weeks later...

I keep two kits put together. One for general collecting, and one for hard rock work. The general purpose kit is almost always in the truck or car.

My GP collecting kit is contained in a sturdy backpack with a number of small pockets. This kit contains a brick layers hammer, a couple of screwdrivers, a 6" nail bar, a multi-purpose garden tool, a stiff brush, a 3/8" chisel, a small punch, a couple a dental tools, a modified butter knife, small plastic bags, black marker, several folded aluminum foil sheets, tp, small roll of red surveyor's tape, individual packaged insect repellent and sunscreen sheets, water, and snack bars.

In the main compartment of the GP bag there is usually a wide tool belt with 2 - 3 bags and pouches attached, plus a loop for the rock hammer and other tools. This is for surface collecting.

The hard rock bag is a heavy canvas backpack, with a large central compartment. This pack has a small sledge, a pointed rock hammer, a 18-24" prybar, a couple of screwdrivers, 2 larger chisels, a couple of small wedges, a stiff brush, and the rest is the same as the GP kit.

Edited by CliffH