Gmr 4

tommcclees

post-6548-0-44884600-1329589034_thumb.jpg

I went to GMR in Greenville NC yesterday found some clams, a small Mako, some broken pieces of GW, Meg, and Goblin, a couple crows, and a sawfish rostril?

post-6548-0-74603700-1329589109_thumb.jpg

Nice Clam casts. I don't see anything that looks sawfish. But if you are refering to the second tooth from the top on the left side on the first photo I belive it is an Enchodus tooth, and a nice one too!

Re-the same 'tooth' as in last post, is it striated? If so, could be a billfish rostrum.

Partial Cylindricanthus rectus rostrum for comparison. EDIT, had a second look and don't see any striations, sorry.

post-45-0-19245900-1329597863_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bill

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

Here is a photo of an Enchodus from GMR. See how it compares to yours.

post-281-0-85783100-1329629640_thumb.jpg

Yup thats what i have. I actually have a dozen or so of these that ive found in the past. ive always thought they were from sawfish. thanks for the i.d.

Here are a few Ischyrhiza mira or "sawfish" rostral spines from GMR it is very rare to find a complete one from that location. The largest in this photo was found by my wife and measures

1 5/8".

post-281-0-23856500-1329630692_thumb.jpg

I remember that big rostral tooth. Great find by your wife. Yep, definitely encodus. They are pretty cool teeth to find! Congrats!

DO, or do not. There is no try.

Yep. I like the enchodus teeth as well. I have a few nice ones along with a palatine fang on a piece of the jaw/skull. I've found one sawfish rostral tooth that is complete. It measures 1 7/8".

Here are some of the Enchodus teeth and Sawfish rostrals that I've found in GMR over the years.

post-6548-0-92627000-1329669641_thumb.jpgpost-6548-0-73658400-1329669724_thumb.jpgpost-6548-0-77232200-1329669774_thumb.jpg

I ran across this larger tooth today, i always wondered what this could be.

post-6548-0-00332900-1329669819_thumb.jpgpost-6548-0-63227000-1329669839_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting, i learned something today.. about Enchodus teeth and sawfish rostrals ... also i learned i need to get back down to GMR...

You have a few rostral teeth that are complete. That's pretty amazing.

it seems like the larger ones are brittle but the small ones are dense and they stay intact. I found a 2'' one in one piece but i accidentally broke it! oops

Enchodus teeth come in two types. The palatine fangs which are "three sided", which is to say, two cutting edges and a third rounded edge. The rest of the teeth are two sided with a cutting edge on the front/back of the teeth. These teeth tend to have a curve back and then up in the middle.

I have a pair of associated palatine fangs that are over 3" around at the largest part of the root. I suspect the fangs would have been 4 inches at least. So these old boys get pretty big.

I have a half dozen Enchodus skulls, but they are all disarticulated. I have yet to find that perfect articulated skull. Maybe this spring!

I have a pair of associated palatine fangs that are over 3" around at the largest part of the root. I suspect the fangs would have been 4 inches at least. So these old boys get pretty big.

Thats enormous!