A Few More Fossil Hors D'oeurves

Uncle Siphuncle

This weekend has been a collecting marathon and it ain't over yet. I took an extension ladder to work on Fri and worked a nearby road cut at lunch, grabbing 3 echinoids (probably Hemiaster texanus) and a killer ammonite from the Austin Chalk. Then I grabbed the boy when I got home and whisked him off to the Corsicana formation, where he found his second and third Dakoticancer crabs plus some echies. Check out the "Return of the Living Dead" Dakoticancers digging themselves out of their marly graves claws first. Too bad so many were crumbly. I'll do my best to glue the claws and legs back on some of these. We finished up the night with a lesson in pellet gun marksmanship at the fossil site.

I hooked up with John Jackson and did some exploring yesterday. We'll get to that later. In the end I took John to a Washita creek that I had found by studying the geo map a couple years ago and then hitting it at night with a flashlight while en route to my dawn collecting site, scoring some nice Mortoniceras ammonites during a round of bonus collecting. I've given the site a year to regenerate and we moved back in for the harvest yesterday. Look at John contemplating his pyrite studded Mortoniceras...don't you think he looks professorial? Johnny has a honkin' big Mort to return to when he can get his heavy hittin' tools together...

post-22-1220190013_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220190025_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220190065_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220190083_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220190102_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220190114_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220190126_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220190144_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220190156_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220190169_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

Thanks for the great pix!

Time to get started on a Halloween costume for your boy; may I suggest "Crab Man"?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

How about a symbiotic team effort: Dakoticancer Dan and his Scavenging Sidekick

Grüße,

That's Great! And if they don't give you a treat, pinch 'em!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice finds. Those crabs look like they're tough to spot. The boy definitely has the advantage there.

Man no kidding they look tough to spot. I'da walked right over that. :( Got it out beautifully, too...

Lance

Same old camera...must be better fossils...hahaha! Actually, wait till you see what else John and I "cooked up" to follow the "hors d'oeurves". We both ran all over the state collecting all weekend, hooking up one day, running independently the rest. You'll agree that this "full meal deal" covers the entire collecting smorgasbord! In the end John smoked me again, but I'm always happy to hoist about any find aloft, let out a few primordial grunts, and cast my eyes on the ground once again with questionably effective side scanning radar....

Grüße,

Beautiful stuff, Dan.... I love those ammonites... I wish my dad would've done things like that with when I was a kid...

Here are a few of today's finds, "side dishes" in this weekend's feast.

I believe the Pleistocene stuff comprises a Bison calcaneum and astragulus, although I'd love to be wrong and have them be camel. There is also a horse upper molar thrown in there somewhere. Back in the Corsicana fm I snagged a killer ammonite shown in situ, Anapachydiscus I believe. Note the sutures on what is exposed. This thing appears to be in perfect shape. It is about 4 inches in diameter and very inflated, one of my bigger and better ammonites from this formation, and I'll note here that I don't see an exact match of this one in Kennedy and Cobban's Ammonites of the Corsicana Fm of North TX. Maastrichtian ammonites...complex sutures....MUHAHAHA!

BTW I don't have to copyright my pictures...the grubby fingernails are something nobody else would ever claim.

Where is John with our main course, side dishes, and dessert? I may even have a few echinoid "after dinner mints" to throw in...

post-22-1220321826_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220321849_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220321860_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220321880_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Dan - Looks like a good trip - thanks for posting the pix.

By the way were you cretaceous hunting in my back yard?? I noted passion vine, ligustrum and elephant ears in the background of your ammonite pic.

MikeD and I finally made a Brazos canoe trip with HGMS today so will chat later about that.

He skunked me on palm wood finds.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Still cookin'! The main course will be served tomorrow. Fill up for now on Dan's hors d'oeurves. It........will.......be.......worth the wait!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Dan ive said this before, but I will say it again! DArN THOSE ARE SOME NICE FOSSILS!!

can I come hunting with you? the pleistocene bones just make me drool....

looking forward to this months report, seriously tho if i ever get my butt to texas any chance i could bribe you with a box full of australian fossils in return for a little trip to one of your local honey holes!? ive got some juicy echnoids i think would look quite nice in your collection! haha!

Thanks for sharing

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Yeah Kauffy I'd help you out. I can't see you putting any long term heat on my from Australia - hahaha!

Stay tuned - this post ain't over yet!

Grüße,

There has to be gravel beds in Australia, too.

Sounds like a good excuse for a trip - just avoid the crocs!

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Nice fossils!!!! Some of your shell is real big! Look like the creek is low! Your reported make me thinking about to check out some low water creeks that I will plan to go!

Yeah Kauffy I'd help you out. I can't see you putting any long term heat on my from Australia - hahaha!

Stay tuned - this post ain't over yet!

Im gonna keep that, stick it in my pocket until I can use it! like a get out of jail free card, one come fossiling with Dan card! HA!... but If I ever do come anywhere around your area I will give you a buzz, would be really neat to meet up with ya and do some collecting!

*ears perked* theres more!! im tuned in and waiting!!

Cheers

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Here are a few more vittles for you guys to chew on. John will provide the main course and dessert when he is good and ready. Would you believe that after staring at my metate, John actually pulled a knife on me? I think we even got a picture of this egregious act.

post-22-1220366936_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220366956_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220366986_thumb.jpg

post-22-1220367139_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Johnny's Morts are too big to fit on the screen so I'll try again later.

post-22-1220367175_thumb.jpg

Grüße,

Wait till Johnny Rotten posts his! Beginner's luck, I say.

Grüße,

... John will provide the main course and dessert when he is good and ready. Would you believe that after staring at my metate, John actually pulled a knife on me? I think we even got a picture of this egregious act.

Ok, Ok...so charge me with something. I mean, what do you do; you invite a guy to a place you have permission to go looking, and he promptly picks up two broken dart points. Then, he goes for the knock-out punch, a beautiful metate! I had to do something, so I picked up the closest weapon I could find...

post-420-1220391809_thumb.jpgpost-420-1220391901_thumb.jpg

...well, that slowed him down, but again you have to remember who I was up against. That was when I saw what I needed in the water...

post-420-1220392307_thumb.jpg

post-420-1220392323_thumb.jpg

post-420-1220392346_thumb.jpg

...now we're cookin'!

We enjoyed a good laugh about me having to pull a knife on him. He went on to find the white point and large drill. The heat and the neighbors couldn't cloud the elation of some great finds.

post-420-1220392628_thumb.jpg

post-420-1220392638_thumb.jpg

The day closed with the trip to Dan's ammonite creek.

post-420-1220393110_thumb.jpg

post-420-1220393126_thumb.jpg

It was a great day in the outdoors! But, then came Sunday and Monday...WHOAA...dessert is coming!

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ