I Shouldn't Post This, But...

tracer

you shouldnt post it!?????? YES YOU SHOULD!

thats a wicked plate of fossils! i love mass assemblages of stuff like that! post some more! :D

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I have found some oyster beds that were a few feet thick and 10-12 foot long. Pretty cool.

Me and Oh-man pulled off the road to check out a spot and unknowingly drove up on top of a "mini reef" several feet thick and several yards long. When we stepped out of the car, there were oysters everywhere.

Cool "plate" tracer. I got a big football shaped one from near Fluvanna. Unfortunately, mine is not cemented together as well and pieces fall off every time I move it.

Why not! I looove those plates! It`s a mixture of Exogyra oysters, and corals, in very good codition!

Please, post more shells, oysters, snails and all those stuff.I want to see moooore! :P

Ilymatogyra arietina is fairly common in San Antonio as well. I like taking my boy to these Del Rio sites as there are more fossils than matrix. I must admit to having some of these "Rice Krispie Treats" in my flower gardens. Sometimes you get some Plesioturrilites ammonites, nautiloids, Neithea, Protocardia, Kingena wacoensis, Phymosoma volanum, Hemiasters, and other goodies from the Del Rio. The Grayson fm is the North TX equivalent which produces more in the way of echinoids in addition to pyritized micromorphic ammonites, shark teeth, crab claws and carapaces, brittlestars, starfish, and other kewl stuff.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

To back up what Dan posted we go to a spot right off the Guadalupe that has a 10 ft+ thick layer that is almost completely Ilmatogyra arientina. Interestingly there is a base layer that is completely Kingena wacoensis only a couple of inches thick. Unfortunately there just aren't many other fossils in that area other than those two.

I like to collect those "death assemblages" too.

What is geology? "Rocks for Jocks!"

Oh good grief! I typo'd the heck out of "home site". Mortification. That does it. I'm paying pennants by not posting for twenty minutes.

You publicly propose to hollow-out a giant block of fossiliferous material and live in it, and you're embarrassed by a typo? :P

BTW, which team's pennants are you offering to pay with?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Oh, snarge! Another Type O! This bloody mess could go on all night! This is not an auspexious occasion!

Dont B-Nagative, a little transfusion of humor won't hurt the Forum!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Del Rio Formation mass murder. Yes, I realize this is common as dirt, but I just like this stuff. Some of the "plates" of this stuff are so busy with little interesting junk that it's like an "I Spy" picture.

post-488-1220234561_thumb.jpg

OK, I might be quitting posting for a short while. No guarantees, though. I just figured out how to edit photos fairly easily on my Macbook, so I can post mobily now. A pitcher on TV just almost got impaled by a broken bat barrel. Life is so dramatic.

Wow this is a really great specimen and I can't wait to see more of them.

The best days are spent collecting fossils