My Findings!

MegGirl94

Alright. My father had time enough that he help me get all my photos loaded.

Of course some of you know that I found a Meg, and now I finally get to show you it! =]

post-752-1220487293_thumb.jpg

Now this is it. Of course it didnt turn out to be as big as my dad thought it was. But I still love it. Haha. I actually found this in a clay block that had fallen from the cliffs we were walking along side. It was just sticking out like it was put there for someone to see. The funny part is that my dad had just finished telling me that there probably wouldnt be any teeth in the clay blocks, or in the cliffs. He told me to look just in case I saw some kind of bone, then we would call the local museum, and the rest is history.

post-752-1220487277_thumb.jpg

Now the funny thing about this meg was that it had two distinct bite marks on it. My father took it to the Calvert Marine Museum and they determined that the tooth somehow got dislodged during feeding and the shark bit its own tooth. I think its pretty cool. It makes it unique.

post-752-1220487935_thumb.jpg

Now my dad told me to keep this. I thought it was pretty cool just because of how big it was, but this is my nice pectin with a couple predation holes.

post-752-1220488166_thumb.jpg

Some of the nicer small teeth I found were some angel shark and tiger shark teeth.

post-752-1220488288_thumb.jpg

This is basicly all of them together. Now my brother might have a little more than me because I skipped out on a trip they took along the cliffs somewhere. I probably would have found some more, but that was my loss.

post-752-1220488392_thumb.jpg

And of course. The other stuff that I found while looking around.

<Just an average girl, trying to make it in this huge, unpredictable world>

Congrats on a very nice meg for the bay!!! The root looks a little brittle...you might want to put some Paleobond on it to protect it a bit. I do that with almost all my nice teeth...but the root only.

LIFE IS SHORT...HUNT HARD!!!

You go girl!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Good job. The only megs I've found were small and/or battered by the elements.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

That's really great! I bet you were excited when you first saw it. Welcome to the forum by the way!

That's really cool about the bite marks on the tooth. I wonder what other types of damage a shark could do to it's own tooth. Maybe this is a topic for another thread. I know I have seen a few teeth that have been digested and I know that teeth can form in the mouth wrong causing pathology but I've never heard about a shark biting it's own tooth. Pretty cool!

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Thanks guys!

I really appreciate all the good comments you left me on my findings =]

You guys are awesome!

I hope my dad takes me hunting again soon. I love finding teeth, no matter what size they are. They each have some kind of sentimental value to me. I can say without a doubt that I'll probably be collecting teeth all my life, and like my dad said he would do, i might just die with a huge meg in my hands. lol.

Looking forward to someday hunting with some of you! It'll be a trip I'll remember =]

Nice finds! My younger brother lives in Ocean City Maryland, and I was just there last week. I wanted to check out Calvert Cliffs, but looked at the map and it was clear across the bay with no easy way to get there. Just went to bars for 5 days straight instead lol Oh well!

PS if you ever go to OCM, check out http://www.seacrets.com - Best. Bar. Ever.

awww. well there are good findings to be found at Calvert Cliffs. You should go when you get the chance, just be careful of the jelly fish. I got stung four times around my knees and anckles. The little suckers hurt! :(

I love the bite marks on the meg. You can even see where the serrations were on one of the marks. Congrats on a very neat find

post-77-1220562032_thumb.jpg

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

I sometimes make good finds looking in places where there shouldn't be anything to find. I bet your dad will be taking a harder look at the clay blocks from now on.

wow! that meg had some major bite damage.

And yeah, my dad said he'll look way way better in those clay blocks next time.

He just said tonight, "It would be hard to see a meg like that and just let you get it." lol

I dont blame my dad for sayin that, I really love it, and I hope to find more, big and small =]

Congratulations on some nice finds. I just a wee bit jealous, since I still haven't found my first Megalodon tooth yet. Your first is a beauty.

Carpe Diem, Carpe Somnium