Porifera

CreekCrawler

I found this a while back in the Pennsylvanian of Jack County Tx.I'm pretty sure it's a sponge,but would like another opinion!

thanks

Bpost-417-1220649195_thumb.jpgpost-417-1220649216_thumb.jpg

The second pic' shows a few Pyrite cubes and other Pyritic areas. It could be a sponge with Pyrite but I think it's a Pyrite nodule.

KOF, Bill.

Welcome to the forum, all new members

www.ukfossils check it out.

It doesn't look like anything I've found in the Pennsylvanian of Jack County, and I can't see the surface well enough to see much texture that would look spongesque. What I have in my collection that I believe to be sponge samples don't look like that. Don't know.

Snake keeper,

In the first photo, count the lobes that you can see. If you come up with twelve I suspect that what you have is a jellyfish. The photo shown below is a fossil jellyfish I found near Fife, Texas ( A Permian location) identified as Duodesimedusina typica.

post-8-1220652891_thumb.jpg

JKFoam

The Eocene is my favorite

Snake keeper,

In the first photo, count the lobes that you can see. If you come up with twelve I suspect that what you have is a jellyfish....

Wouldn't that be cool! It can't be common for fossil jellies to be that 3-D.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I counted the lobes and there are exactly 12. I'ts hard to see on camere but the lobes are easy to see in hand!Maybe this is a little better.Pic taken without flash.post-417-1220656104_thumb.jpgpost-417-1220656418_thumb.jpg I knew it was something special! :)

Oh, I hope it's so (and it looks like it might be)! Amazing fossil!!

post-423-1220657070.gif

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

drop it! quickly! i've heard those things can still sting you long after they're dead.

Yes,lets just hope it is not a Box Jellyfish :D

Snake keeper,

In the first photo, count the lobes that you can see. If you come up with twelve I suspect that what you have is a jellyfish. The photo shown below is a fossil jellyfish I found near Fife, Texas ( A Permian location) identified as Duodesimedusina typica.

post-8-1220652891_thumb.jpg

JKFoam

Looks the same as yours, but the lobes are not as defined!Funny, it has medusa in the name and I have a few medusa statues in my collection.Guess I'll just have to keep it!

I found this a while back in the Pennsylvanian of Jack County Tx.I'm pretty sure it's a sponge,but would like another opinion!

thanks

Bpost-417-1220649195_thumb.jpgpost-417-1220649216_thumb.jpg

It looks like the sponges I have and I was going to ask if it is light weight? I agree with you on it.

The best days are spent collecting fossils

It looks like the sponges I have and I was going to ask if it is light weight? I agree with you on it.

No ,it's not light weight. It's not porous at all!

thanks

Barry

Can you post a pic of one of your sponges for comparison?

Give me a day and I get it on in the morning

The best days are spent collecting fossils