Two Unknowns, Surry, Va

NaeVA

I usually am able to identify my own fossils but as I looked through my collection I noticed there were two items that I could not figure out exactly what they are. I will post the items below with information about each one. Both fossils were found on the James River in Surry, VA. The second one was more specifically found at Chippokes State Park.

Unknown #1:

Looks like some kind of vertebrae to me.

Unknown1-1.jpgUnknown1b-1.jpg

Unknown #2:

I am unsure if this is even a fossil, maybe a rock or shell? Just has me stumped.

Unknown2-1.jpgUnknown2b-1.jpg

Sorry the second picture is a little blurry I couldn't get it any clearer. Hopefully I have given you enough information, if I left anything out feel free to ask. Thanks!

Hi,

Your second item is the mouthplate from a burrfish (puffer). The first, I do not immediately recognize.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I was starting to wonder if it was a mouth piece of a fish. Now I also know what kind. Thanks a lot!

I'm intrigued by the first item; any chance for some better "end" views?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Hi I think that the first one is a Hyperostosed Caudal Vertebrae or ( swollen fish vertebrae ) and the second one is a Parrot or Puffer Fish ( Mouth Plate ) set of teeth.

I tried. This was the best shot I could get. Here are also some more up close photos.

End:

photo3-1.jpg

Top:

photo2-1.jpg

Bottom:

photo1-1.jpg

Hi I think that the first one is a Hyperostosed Caudal Vertebrae or ( swollen fish vertebrae ) and the second one is a Parrot or Puffer Fish ( Mouth Plate ) set of teeth.

I tried. This was the best shot I could get. Here are also some more up close photos.

End:

photo3-1.jpg

Top:

photo2-1.jpg

Bottom:

photo1-1.jpg

That picture does it for me; powelli1 is correct. :)

And by the way the Fish Vert. photo on the left is the top side and the other photo of it is the under side of it.