NJ Cretaceous finds

non-remanié

This is about 5 trips worth of teeth to a Cretaceous spot. I didn't find anything too interesting, but a lot of nice teeth.

post-382-1221252127_thumb.jpg

post-382-1221252141_thumb.jpg

post-382-1221252166_thumb.jpg

post-382-1221252187_thumb.jpg

post-382-1221252196_thumb.jpg

post-382-1221252176_thumb.jpg

post-382-1221252152_thumb.jpg

---Wie Wasser schleift den Stein, wir steigen und fallen---

OK, I'll be the first to say it...Better than Texas! Looks like a Maastrichtian or Campanian deposit?

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

WOW ! Lots of teeth in beautiful condition, you can't ask for much more than that. I just have to get up your way sometime soon.

I'll be second to say: WAAAAAY better then what we find here(except for this one find - attached photo)! Super great collection! Now, how long did it take to amass this collection? Was the 5 trips over several years or did you just find a "honey hole"?

post-15-1221254678_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Man, you have that site nailed!

Who needs Morocco?

(Any bird stuff there?)

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

This is about 5 trips worth of teeth to a Cretaceous spot. I didn't find anything too interesting, but a lot of nice teeth.

Incredible quality and quantity!! :rolleyes:

I'll be second to say: WAAAAAY better then what we find here(except for this one find - attached photo)! Super great collection! Now, how long did it take to amass this collection? Was the 5 trips over several years or did you just find a "honey hole"?

How large is that plate? Is there more than one species represented? Whatever the answer(s), it's an outstanding plate of Ptychodus teeth. :P

How large is that plate? Is there more than one species represented? Whatever the answer(s), it's an outstanding plate of Ptychodus teeth. :P

Look in the Gallery. I have a photo for size there.

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Late Campanian Wenonah fm. It took a lot of heavy digging in those 5 trips at what I guess you could say is a "honey hole". The quality of shark material is pretty nice, but the spot doesn't yield much in the way of reptiles besides a few scraps of bone, mostly turtle. NJ doesn't even come close to Tx considering Mosasaur remains, thats for sure. Not to mention the Ptychodus... by the way thats an awesome plate Mike! No bird material Auspex, sorry! Thats something I have been keeping an eye out for.

-steve

Both of you guys have some nice teeth.

I tell you TP before i met you i never knew such great thing could be found up in NJ. Such a shame that with all the times i have been invited up by you and Dave that i have yet to come. Was supposed to get up there on labor day weekend, made it all the way up to my brothers and was going to leave from there the next morning to cut the commute down a little. Well since it was a holiday weekend it took me over three hours for a commute that normally takes about an hour and three quarters. Needless to say i decided againts completing the journey the next day.

Real nice shark teeth,

what is amazing is it looks just like the shark teeth from frankstown, miss, NW corner of miss., you could not tell them apart if they were in the same box.

The coolest shark tooth assemblages I've seen in TX are Mike's Ptychodus slab and the Eocene Sabinetown fm grapefruit sized conglomerate ball full of 125 shark teeth that John Jackson found several weeks ago when I took him on an exploratory field trip. Usually I'm very happy to take 5 shark teeth of any size in one slab in TX. Most of the time these are Squalicorax falcatus from the Eagle Ford in my limited experience. I once found a little overlooked, closet sized outlier in the Eagle Ford which produced 700 teeth for me in about 4-5 hours. Some of these were broken, mostly during extraction, but at least half were very nice. The consisted of S. falcatus, Cretoxyrhina mantelli, Carcharias sp., and some Enchodus and Pachyrhizodus teeth in addition to some Ptychodus anonymus, fish verts, and a Plesiosaur tooth or two. It pays to explore. One of my brakes seized up that day and I got rained on all day so finding that site at the end of the day was exactly the retribution I needed.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I have noticed this as well. Are there are publications on the Frankstown site?

Real nice shark teeth,

what is amazing is it looks just like the shark teeth from frankstown, miss, NW corner of miss., you could not tell them apart if they were in the same box.

Yeah it probably wasn't the best of timing that weekend. We figured that was the reason. Traffic is the last thing you want to deal with after a long day of digging. I know I always have a rough time driving back to NJ from day trips to MD and those are usually after just beach collecting which isn't quite as strenuous as digging and screening all day, but it takes its toll as well. Hey... did you hear about a certain rare tooth that I know you like to find at your usual romping grounds being found a little further south now?

I tell you TP before i met you i never knew such great thing could be found up in NJ. Such a shame that with all the times i have been invited up by you and Dave that i have yet to come. Was supposed to get up there on labor day weekend, made it all the way up to my brothers and was going to leave from there the next morning to cut the commute down a little. Well since it was a holiday weekend it took me over three hours for a commute that normally takes about an hour and three quarters. Needless to say i decided againts completing the journey the next day.

I have noticed this as well. Are there are publications on the Frankstown site?

Two such publications come to mind:

Manning & Dockery, 1992: A Guide to the Frankstown Vertebrate Fossil Locality (Upper Cretaceous), Prentiss County, Mississippi.

Manning & Dockery, 1990: Analysis of the Frankstown Vertebrate Fossil Locality

SHICK MATE! loads of perfect complete teeth! great Haul!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

I see the first is available here

http://www.deq.state.ms.us/MDEQ.nsf/page/G...ns?OpenDocument

and there is also

Manning, E., 2006. Late Campanian vertebrate fauna of the Frankstown site, Prentiss County, Mississippi; systematics, paleoecology, taphonomy, sequence stratigraphy. Unpub. PhD dissertation, Tulane Univ., New Orleans, xvii+419 p., 16 pls.

Two such publications come to mind:

Manning & Dockery, 1992: A Guide to the Frankstown Vertebrate Fossil Locality (Upper Cretaceous), Prentiss County, Mississippi.

Manning & Dockery, 1990: Analysis of the Frankstown Vertebrate Fossil Locality

glad is fossilselachian up to date on these publications of frankstown, thanks

I have Manning & Dockery, 1992

but didn’t know about the unpublished PHD disert. by Manning, 2006, Thanks

Frankstown was a great place to collect, I really enjoyed it

I see the first is available here

http://www.deq.state.ms.us/MDEQ.nsf/page/G...ns?OpenDocument

and there is also

Manning, E., 2006. Late Campanian vertebrate fauna of the Frankstown site, Prentiss County, Mississippi; systematics, paleoecology, taphonomy, sequence stratigraphy. Unpub. PhD dissertation, Tulane Univ., New Orleans, xvii+419 p., 16 pls.