a link to the past

Guest bmorefossil

Guest bmorefossil

So would there be more than 30 people on the beach this weekend, no but there were still more than i usually see, as soon as we got to the beach we could tell it was gonna be good but at the same time could tell it was sandy, i guess all that sand from brownies came down. The water water up to about 3 feet deep was crystal clear, so we were on the look for big teeth. About 20 feet from the boat my dad finds a meg/chub. I stayed around where he found the meg and he kept walking down the beach, there was really nothing for me, I would find the normal medium sized hemis. and makos and tiger shark teeth. I kept looking in blocks but was only finding little teeth, then i saw this red block with a black bone in it, as i cracked the block in half i notice a sperm whale tooth sticking out the side. So i chuck most of the block and take the part with the sperm whale tooth to the boat. So i deside to head down the beach, and ask "the lady" if she had found anything, well when ever i see her she always has this mean look on her face but today she had a smile on her face....... something wasnt right. So i ask her what she had found, she tells me nothing and then smiles again!!! So she keeps on walking and when she gets down to this other person she begins to talk with them....... i know she must have found something nice and didnt want to tell me. I didnt care, so i kept on heading down the beach, found a little cow shark and a few more little teeth. I finally get to my dad and he shows me his 2" mako, a croc tooth and some other nice stuff. At least he found some stuff in front of her. I tell him i cleaned up down by the boat and that we should just go to where he found the mako. The water was really nice down where he went, i was still finding stuff even after he looked through all of it. I see this black tooth in the water, looked like a meg, but when i pick it up i see its not a meg but a point!!!!! my first one!!!! IT is so sharp it cut my finger. I was so happy i called my dad over and showed him. He wasnt as happy but still, it pumped me up. I wasnt sure how fragile they are so i had it in my had all the way down the beach. As the tide came in and the people left it seemed that with each wave we lost more and more fossils until my dad finds this beautiful chub that must have been knocked loose from bottom layer on the same wave it came in on!!! We walk back to the beach and i bend down and i see a tip, I go no way this is to good to be true, well yea it was, i pull it out and it was broken.

ahhhh the croc tooth pic is missing, give me a sec

post-17-1221443900_thumb.jpg

post-17-1221444003_thumb.jpg

post-17-1221444059_thumb.jpg

post-17-1221444120_thumb.jpg

post-17-1221444168_thumb.jpg

post-17-1221444223_thumb.jpg

post-17-1221444293_thumb.jpg

post-17-1221444318_thumb.jpg

post-17-1221448373_thumb.jpg

Congrats on the point! Pics are coming, right?

EDIT: I see they were loading as I was impatiently posting... :P

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guest bmorefossil

yes pics are up i just dont like using this laptop, mine broke dont want to get half way through and then something go wrong and i have to start over

I see the pics. Very nice chub/angy/whatever. Its very nice, and it looks like its fresh from the cliffs too. Congrats on the great haul. Sure wish New York was blessed with these kinds of beaches, lol :P

Tha tighin fodham, fodham, fodham!

Neat point! The slight asymmetry of the base angle is interesting.

What is that Darth Vader helmet looking thing?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Guest bmorefossil
Neat point! The slight asymmetry of the base angle is interesting.

What is that Darth Vader helmet looking thing?

fish skull. ill find out from what later. Any chance for an id on the bird bone?

...Any chance for an id on the bird bone?

It's pretty rough, but it might be the distal end of a humerus. Not much hope for more than that...

Congrats on the point and another great day of collecting!!!! I was collecting just north of the willows, found a meg almost the same as your tooth with the broken tip and a tooth just like the one to the right of the sand tigers. I'm looking in my books right now but I don't recognize it offhand.

Could it be an extinct mackeral shark? Carcharoides catticus?

Brett Kent's book says that species is uncommon and has only been found in Old Church and Calvert Formations.

Very very nice stuff as always Bmore!

"Turn the fear of the unknown into the excitment of possibility!"

We dont stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing.

Way to go, Bmore! Your first artifact. If we only knew the story of the last time someone held it...1000 years before you did? (It looks like it could be a Levanna style point.) Good stuff! B)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Guest bmorefossil
Way to go, Bmore! Your first artifact. If we only knew the story of the last time someone held it...1000 years before you did? (It looks like it could be a Levanna style point.) Good stuff! B)

Well we got the story funny enough the point could have been made by my ansestor