Hundreds Of Fossils In Giant Limestone Matrix

Susan Lich

Hi all.

About ten to fiftenn years ago i went for a walk in a friends field and along a creek that leads to lake Erie. During my walk up the creek bed I found a 10 inch horn coral and a large section of lime stone with hundreds if not thousands of fossils . This piece is chucked full and I am not sure if I should try to take out each fossil or leave . On the same chunk is a fossil that I have not seen anything to compare it with, so I can only hope someone can identifiy . Thanks to all!

post-8274-0-57166300-1336073257_thumb.jpg

Welcoem to the forum! :-)

Sounds like a cool place to hunt with all that material as you described..... a ten inch horn coral? Holy smokes!

It's not easy to say what you have there on that rock, but I do see something.

Could you post more and better (closer, with higher resolution) photos?

Without anything better to go on, I think it will be tough to help much.....unless someone comes along that is very familiar with the fossils in that particular formation.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

I see a curving string of crinoid columnals; without scale and without a bigger, more detailed picture, I can't say what else might be there.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hi I do have a high resolution picture but it was too big gig wise. Here is a picture of the horn coral from same place.

post-8274-0-87697700-1336075053_thumb.jpg

That might be an edrioasteroid in the first pic - can't quite see it well enough to be sure though.

Tarquin

picture is not great to make an identification from, my impression was blastoid.

Three different ideas of what it may be, but...

I see a curving string of crinoid columnals; without scale and without a bigger, more detailed picture, I can't say what else might be there.

That might be an edrioasteroid in the first pic - can't quite see it well enough to be sure though.

picture is not great to make an identification from, my impression was blastoid.

That is exactly why I did not suggest anything at all.

I see what appears to be a series of dots in a curved line.

Are they part of a known fossil type? Perhaps (well, I can even say 'probably'), but without better photos (you could place them somewhere else online and link to them in here if you aren't able to attach them to this thread), I don't think we're going to get any further than more ideas of what it 'may' be.

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Perhaps a cryptolithus cephalon?

Finding my way through life; one fossil at a time.

The majority of the Lake Erie shoreline is Devonian. I would guess the horn coral is "Siphonophrentis gigantea"

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks