Is This A Fossil Or A Rock?

koscojo

It looks like a concretion to me, but don't take my word on it.

An interesting piece none the less.

Looks like a concretion (i.e., a mineral nodule) to me, too. Pretty neat piece! Welcome to the forum, Koscojo. I'm only an occasional visitor to this site, but the people on here are pretty knowledgeable.

It doesn't look like any concretion that I have seen, but it does resemble the red algae Solenopora sp. Solenopora is fairly common though out the Paleozoic and Mesozoic. Really need to see a close up (x10 - x20) for a determination.

2012 NCAA Collegiate Round Ball Champs; and in '98, '96, '78, 58, '51, '49, and '48, too.

Question. What is the composition of this material, (chert, siltstone, Limestone)? Are the pictures of one specimen or different specimens? To make my pictures small enough to load, I use paint to reduce them. Others may have a better way. What was the material (rock) were it was found. Do possibly know the age of the rocks where it was found?

I don't know the composition. Some parts can break easily and it is black, but some other areas look more rusty. This is one specimen. It was found in sand by a river in NW Missouri, a place noted for Pennsylvanian specimens.