Invention Of A System Of Superimposed Sieving

Coco

Hi,

To sieve some sediment with three sieves the one on the other one is difficult because it is heavy, and as I have problems of lumbar vertebrae, I tried since a moment to invent a not heavy and easy system to install to avoid getting tired my back and having pains during several days after a session of sieving.

I thus made this system which consists in pushing three stalks in the ground, surmounted by a black part which turns in the empty stalks. I fixed to these black parts a piece of white plastic in the shape of gutter to prop up the sieve of bottom. I just have to shake the whole of front behind so that the sieving of makes alone, effortlessly. It is just necessary to watch that sieves are very horizontal, because otherwise the sediment accumulates on the lowest side and it isn't practical.

suppor10.jpg

suppor11.jpg

I used my system a whole day and it worked well. I didn't have a backache the next day.

I think that I am going to add a 4th stalk to this system, so I think that it will still be better.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I have been thinking of making something similar. What are the sieve units themselves? Are they equipment you purchased that are sieves, or did you make them (and from what?).

Brent Ashcraft

ashcraft, brent allen

Im always happy to see somthing that will make sieving easier on the back, nice job

i made a similar artifact screen at one point. it consists of a free standing frame with a screen box connected to the frame my 8 extension springs. when i'd throw a shovel or 5 gallon bucket of dirt on it, the thing would jiggle enough that the dirt would fall through the 1/2 inch mesh with minimal additional agitation. obviously it was easiest with sand. it was a worthwhile piece of equipment in certain situations. had i gotten more serious about it i would have made it a shaker table by adding a motor to it with an eccentric weight.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I bought these sieves, they are usually used by the masons. It becomes difficult now to find wooden sieves...

What are the sieve units themselves?

I am not sure to understand the question, but the size of the stitches of every sieve is 3mm, 5 mm and 8 mm (1.89/16 - 3.15/16 & 5.04/16).

When I bought my sieves, the seller had not well understood what I wanted to make, and he wanted to sell me an electric sieve (who shakes alone), but it is expensive, heavy and I could not pile several ones. Already, when I required these sizes of stitches, he looked at me of an odd look ! :D

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

• 5 months later...

Here are some photos of the seive I use. In a previous life I used to fossick for gemstones so this is what it was made for.

The advantage to this system is that you only need the one stake and the seive shakes on the stake. I have two diffrent length stakes to use depending on how hard to ground is. It is home made from what I had available around the yard.

Mike

post-4980-0-33539100-1352966956_thumb.jpg

post-4980-0-43633300-1352966974_thumb.jpg

post-4980-0-18607400-1352966997_thumb.jpg

Here are some photos of the seive I use. In a previous life I used to fossick for gemstones so this is what it was made for.

The advantage to this system is that you only need the one stake and the seive shakes on the stake. I have two diffrent length stakes to use depending on how hard to ground is. It is home made from what I had available around the yard.

Mike

I love this design!

I've got to make one for myself.

Thanks for posting this, Mike!

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• 4 weeks later...

Sweet...we were looking for artifacts the other day on a gentleman's land and he had another one there that had created a sift made with a motor that actually vibrated the sift itself once you started it up. He had made a metal frame and all for it. While it wouldn't be convenient to carry around, it would be nice to have to haul to one place and use it all day long. Of course, he had a backhole that he was loading dirt in to dump in the sifter too. Amazing at some of the creations people come up with.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Sweet...we were looking for artifacts the other day on a gentleman's land and he had another one there that had created a sift made with a motor that actually vibrated the sift itself once you started it up. He had made a metal frame and all for it. While it wouldn't be convenient to carry around, it would be nice to have to haul to one place and use it all day long. Of course, he had a backhole that he was loading dirt in to dump in the sifter too. Amazing at some of the creations people come up with.

I can think of about 10,000 different sites I'd like to try that entire system out on!

Coco, great idea.. It gives me some ideas for when I make some more of these in the future.

youtube-logo-png-46031.png