Sant Ocean Hall at Smithsonian

Metopocetus

I hope to see it sometime soon. A couple of years ago I received a request for two specimens from the Ordovician of Ontario, a cystoid and an edrioasteroid. I made a 30 year loan to them for the display. I would lilke to see if they actually used the specimens. If not, I plan to ask that they be returned.

crinus

Do you have pictures of them. I am going on Sunday, I'll look and see if they are around.

Here are the three specimens that I loaned them. Let me know if you see any of them.

crinus

Guest solius symbiosus

^^In museums, even though a lot of specimens aren't displayed, it doesn't mean that their significance is any less diminished. A lot of research is conducted on pieces that rarely see the day of light.

Here are the three specimens that I loaned them....

Oooooooooooo, those are soooooo beautiful! :wub: What's it like to find something like those?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

if i knew my way there i would go (=

Hop on the Metro, it's not that hard. ;) I normally stop off in Silver spring and ride down, switch lines and it takes you right to the Mall were all the museums are :D

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Is anyone going? It opens to the public this week. At the Natural History Museum.

post-680-1222457682_thumb.jpg

Still referenced as Carcharodon megalodon - one of the few remaining "hold-outs" still using such taxonomy!!

The Hall must be impressive, though I find crowds at the National Museum of Natural History hard to handle.

Be sure to report back about your visit.

In case anyone wants to see the web site for the Hall, it's http://ocean.si.edu/ocean_hall/index.html.

Still some kinks to work out, some of the links didn't work when I tried them.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Here are the three specimens that I loaned them. Let me know if you see any of them.

crinus

I definitely saw the first two there. One loan from (your name, where you live) I didn't see the third but it may still be there, there was A LOT to look at. Very nice exhibit and plenty of room to get around even with so many people.

They had 2 teeth on display next to the large meg jaw reconstruction. The meg was from Calvert Cliffs, the fossil Great White was from NC.

I've had a number of folks in the shop this week that are in town specifically for this exhibit. After the crowds abate a bit, I'll have to get down there myself. If I can remember to take the camera, I'll add to the great photos already posted; I especially want to get pics of Crinus' fossils on display.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I've had a number of folks in the shop this week that are in town specifically for this exhibit. After the crowds abate a bit, I'll have to get down there myself. If I can remember to take the camera, I'll add to the great photos already posted; I especially want to get pics of Crinus' fossils on display.

I got pictures of those, I just haven't blacked out his name yet before I post them

my camera isn't great but it gets the job done.

post-680-1222645718_thumb.jpgpost-680-1222645726_thumb.jpg

The exhibits look impressive. Glad to know there was "plenty of room" to maneuver. I'll have to jump on the Metro and take a look. Thanks, atropicallondon.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

I got pictures of those, I just haven't blacked out his name yet before I post them

my camera isn't great but it gets the job done.

post-680-1222645718_thumb.jpgpost-680-1222645726_thumb.jpg

Thanks for taking the photos. It is nice to see that they actually used the specimens and that I did not waste my time and money getting those to them. Thanks for being considerate and blocking out the name, even though it wasn't necessary. I am curious whether there were two names for the loan. My wife uses her own name and the loan was made in both of our names. They said that they would use both name and I am wondering if they did. Not that it matters. After all I did all the work and she would just as soon sell them all.

JK

Thanks for taking the photos. It is nice to see that they actually used the specimens and that I did not waste my time and money getting those to them. Thanks for being considerate and blocking out the name, even though it wasn't necessary. I am curious whether there were two names for the loan. My wife uses her own name and the loan was made in both of our names. They said that they would use both name and I am wondering if they did. Not that it matters. After all I did all the work and she would just as soon sell them all.

JK

If I had fossils on display at the Smithsonian, I'd be high as a kite! Congratulations!! :applause:

If I had fossils on display at the Smithsonian, I'd be high as a kite! Congratulations!! :applause:

Thanks. I am high as a kite at this moment.