Devonian Tiny Fossil - Lingula

hitekmastr

My wife found this tiny Devonian fossil fragment at the Montour Pit (PA) - the consensus is that this is Lingula (thanks fossilcrazy and malcomt). Lingula is a brachiopod genus that holds the distinction of being the oldest, relatively unchanged animal known. Fossils have been found in Cambrian rocks 550 million years old. Modern versions, relatively unchanged, exist today. These mobile creatures (see drawing) had a bivalve shell and a long "foot" called a pedicle. Fascinating creature.

post-8709-0-97913800-1341251219_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-29812500-1341197417_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-18029600-1341197419_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-83891400-1341197420_thumb.jpg

post-8709-0-29756500-1341197422_thumb.jpg

Edited by hitekmastr

Very interesting fossil. Due to the rarity of insect fossils of that age my first guess is bivalve or brachiopod. The concentric lines on the main fossil and those broken pieces on the matrix look like the growth lines you see on animals that add a slightly larger layer of shell between their body and the previous shell layer. There is probably not enough material to make a positive ID unless someone who hunts that pit recognizes it from seeing more complete examples.

I would agree that this looks like it could well be a partial Lingula, I thought that as soon as I saw it before reading fossilcrazy's interpretation.

Taking a best guess approach, I believe you are looking at a partial Lingula. The Phosphatic make up of this family of Brachiopods preserves better.

Lingula brachs range from the Cambrian to recent times. To be sure they were in the Devonian. Check out some examples, I believe you will agree with me.

Take the Misses out collecting more often - good eye. :D

Thanks - this sounds spot-on. You have a keen eye, also! We appreciate the fast ID on this - of course, my wife is delighted. We're new to this but already have a cool technique that is paying off as you can see from our flurry of finds and posts - I look for the outcroppings and formations that look like "anomalies" or geologically interesting places to chop and chisel. She does fine fragmenting of layers if needs and does the close inspection because she absolutely has a great eye for fossils. She's already pointed out lots of patterns and details that I would have overlooked. We have more posts coming, including a "page" of closeups from our recent Red Hill trip. You might also want to check out the closeups pdf page I just added to our "Mating Devonian Worms" post.

Wow, that is sooo tiny. Going to check out your other posts & look forward to seeing more. Interesting finds & info.