Air Abrasion Tool Help!

lizx

Hi everyone,

I am trying to clean up a rather confusing and difficult Ichthyosaur jaw (or at the moment from what I can see, jaw, teeth and ribs)!

I am currently using acid and barriers but this is not really a good way to do it as I keep loosing bits of bone as the acid is undermining it!

I would like to look in to purchasing an air abrasion tool.

I have no idea where to start! I am in the uk and I am not looking for a top of the range one, just something that I can learn with and hopefully begin to piece together exactly what I have of the ichthyosaur!

Also would a dental one do - I have found cheaper ones but I do not know if they would be strong enough to move the rock!

Thanks

Liz

Edited by lizx

Hi Liz,

Stop with the acid forthwith, and prepare for a tidal wave of information from the experienced air abrasive users in residence here!

A topic search for "air abrasive" (in quotes) on the Forum scored a few useful hits.

• I found this Informative 1

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thankyou, I will have a look!

I stopped with the acid a while ago as I felt that it was endangering the fossil,

I look forward to hearing some useful information!

Hello Lizx,

Is it an air abrasive or an air pen that you are after? I can recommened suppliers of both - are you working close to the bone? I'd also suggest you take a look at Tarquin's recent Ichthyosaur preparation as you may be attempting a similar project. Whilst using the acid have you been coating the exposed bone with paraloid - if not, I would recommend that you do so as this may minimise damage to the bone from acid attack.

Kind Regards,

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

Hi Joe,

I am not too sure whether I need an abrasive or an air pen, I am working quite close to the bone, but I also have a fair bit of rock to move in other places. I have had a look for Tarquin's post but I can not find it! Could you point me in the right direction?

I have been coating the exposed bone with paraloid, and have also given it a go with parafin wax, I have managed to not cause too much damage - but I think that now is the time to get some finer work in!

Best wishes

Liz

Hi Liz,

Personally I've never prepared any material like the piece you're working on; but I'd say you ideally need both an airpen and an air abrasive. This is a link to the thread in which Tarquin posted his superb finds; Link. The man to speak to about prepping equipment would be Ken Mannion - he sells both airpens and air abrasives. Someone else, who has experience with preparing bone, may be able to further aid you as to specific models.

Regards,

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks - Sorry it has taken me so long to answer!

I will do all of those things - thanks for the link!

Liz

Liz... Maybe post some photo's of your finds... It may give us a better idea of how to help you proceed...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Okay, it is in a bit of a state at the moment -

with a lot of parafin wax protecting large parts of it ect from when I was using the acid but here are some photos!

It is in several parts. I have a bit of a crynoid problem also and the rock is tough!

Sorry about the large amount of photos!

ichthyosaur017.jpgichthyosaur023.jpgichthyosaur038.jpgichthyosaur039.jpgichthyosaur041.jpgichthyosaur028.jpg

Thanks

Liz

Looks nice already. You could use an air pen, they work well once you get the hang of it. my ichy bones were preped with a record power engraver, air pens do a much beter job.

post-4683-0-68102000-1342991887_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-45806900-1342991898_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-52999300-1342991966_thumb.jpg

post-4683-0-75096200-1342991914_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-35846300-1342991924_thumb.jpg post-4683-0-24436500-1342991990_thumb.jpg

Cool, I hope it will end up being something really lovely when it is done :) although very bone I have uncovered is broken at present!

What bone do you have in the 2nd photo? I think that I have one of them!

Liz

Judging by the texture where the rock has broke and the tool marks on the matrix it doesnt look like one of the 'rock hard' limestone layers you get down there... I know Tarquin had some success using various wood chisels for removing the bulk of the matrix on his specimen... quite controllable when you get the going...and as Thomas said certainly an airpen...Its all about getting the bulk of the matrix away from the bones to reduce the air abraision needed to finally clean them up revealing the contents... and taking the rock away but leaving an asthetically pleasing base to display the contents so planning ahead will be important too and not rushing... although it looks like your fully in control of this...If you can work the matrix easily and can do most of the work yourself it might be worth paying a prepper down Lyme to finish it off... Paddy & Chris could point you in the right direction as they get someone to air abraid for them...Any prep tool information and glues etc I would contact Ken Mannion... Google Ken Mannion fossil Preparation equipment... he supplies everyone in the trade and the hobbyists like myself with prep tools and equipment...

I'll give Tarquin a nudge to see if he can help you out further...

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

Sounds good, wooden chisels would perhaps be too weak - but I may get some! I will invest in an air pen! I have spoken to Ken Mannion but i found that the same one was cheaper from UkGE (Sorry if you are reading this!) I have not got much money so I am currently saving up - but I may go to him once I have saved up!

Chris was actually the person who helped me get rock off of the beach! I am going to Charmouth this week so I am going to talk to Paddy and Chris when I am there.

Thanks

Lizzie

What bone do you have in the 2nd photo? I think that I have one of them!

I have no idea, sorry. They are labeled as "unidentified ichthyosaur bones".

Hi Lizzie,

I just got back from a fossil hunting trip and Steve aka Terry Dactyl pointed me to this thread.

Great find, would you mind saying approximately where it's from? - if it's from near Golden Cap (which the tough crinoidal rock looks like) then it's rather rare.

Wood chisels (as in wood working, rather than wooden!) are very good in some of the softish mudstones, maybe with some judicious damping of the rock. If that doesn't work on yours, then an airpen is probably best to remove most of the matrix, with cautious use of an air abrader to finish it. A toothbrush dipped in acetic acid may also be good before a final wash down if the specimen is strong enough.

Don't use the aluminium oxide powder that comes as standard with the basic kit! - it'll quickly ruin the the bone - you need something a lot kinder such as calcium carbonate/dolomite (sold by Ken Mannion) or iron powder (awkward to get hold of in the UK, easier from Germany where it's used more).

If you do get hold of an abrader, you also need an extraction box to use it in - a lot of people make their own or you can buy a small industrial one, expensive though. In England, you'll also need one or two extra inline moisture filters in the air feed to the abrader to stop the powder clogging up.

Good luck!

PS It could look stunning with a background of crinoid fragments - they should prep very well with an abrader but of course are dissolved by acid.

Edited by TqB

Tarquin

Hi Tarquin,

Sorry it took so long for me to reply - I was down in Dorset attempting to fossil hunt with closed beaches!

I found it on Pinhay bay, quite close to Seven rock point, I did not see many crynoidial rocks about around there but they are perhaps more common there.

The lime stone is some of the toughest I have ever encountered! It is a real pain to work with! I also have an issue with it being so 3d, I am finding it difficult to decide which bits are the most important to expose! I will certainly look in to an air pen.

The acid does not destroy the crynoid - so I do not think that I will loose much of it - it is spending alot of time getting in the way!

Thanks for your advice and coming on here to find the thread! Your finds are wonderful!

Thanks

Liz

I have no idea, sorry. They are labeled as "unidentified ichthyosaur bones".

Thats okay :)

Thanks for the comments Liz, you're very welcome! If the limestone's that hard then wood chisels will be useless - air pen is probably the way to go to get the bulk off, with abrader and/or acid for finishing (the crinoids will dissolve in the acid, but more slowly than the matrix - I'm sure there'll be plenty left for a background anyway!).

As Steve said, it might be worth considering a professional to finish it after you've done the hard work.

Tarquin