Crinoid Columnal Or Something Else?

thewilliamsdigit

Found in Arlington TX at Village Creek.

We are thinking that this is a Crinoid Columnal. We have not found any that are still together like this though. When we did find some, they were in pieces and in Mineral Wells TX.

Ideas?

post-8852-0-67402000-1341596106_thumb.jpg

is it segmented or spiraled? it almost looks spiraled from this photo.

is it segmented or spiraled? it almost looks spiraled from this photo.

I think it is more spiraled.

Good eyes. Interesting little find. I wonder what those "flanges" are?

I would not expect crinoid around here. You've got to go west around Mineral Wells, Jacksboro, Bridgeport, etc to get into the Pennsylvanian.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

Good eyes. Interesting little find. I wonder what those "flanges" are?

I would not expect crinoid around here. You've got to go west around Mineral Wells, Jacksboro, Bridgeport, etc to get into the Pennsylvanian.

My husband found this one, he has great eyes for the small stuff.

Thats what I was thinking too. Maybe it is not a crinoid. hmm.

Also, I`m with you on the "flanges" not a clue.

Can you get a picture of the ends, if they are crinoids they will have a very distinctive structure. Crinoids have been around from the Cambrian and are still alive today. So as long as you have a marine environment that would be suited to crinoids, you could have crinoids.

It looks to me like the center column of an Archimedes bryozoan with a few pieces of the fans. Does the top fan have holes in it?

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

It looks to me like the center column of an Archimedes bryozoan with a few pieces of the fans. Does the top fan have holes in it?

I believe the area they're in is Cretaceous.

Is it hollow? My initial impression is that it may not be biological, but instead it maybe something man-made. It doesn't taper at all, and the flanges are evenly spaced; I'd expect something of organic origin to be a little less "regular". Very hard tell from a photo, though. An end view would be helpful.

Don

OOPS! probably not Archimedes then. However I have seen things like this in the Penn. of KY, could it be a float?

Edited by Herb

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

Is it hollow? My initial impression is that it may not be biological, but instead it maybe something man-made. It doesn't taper at all, and the flanges are evenly spaced; I'd expect something of organic origin to be a little less "regular". Very hard tell from a photo, though. An end view would be helpful.

Don

It is not hollow. I am going to load a few more images in just a bit. :)

It is very possible that it could be man made. Indians lived all along this creek. Also, now that I look at it again, it isn`t very spiraled.

OOPS! probably not Archimedes then. However I have seen things like this in the Penn. of KY, could it be a float?

I am not sure what a "float" is? Can you point me in the right direction?

With this latest series of pics, the item looks less "regular" as fossildawg had described it. The pic in post #15 shows some random "veins" that seem to run the length of the object.

Alright Mrs. Williams, this is twice you've stumped the experts (I'm not including myself in this group) . First it was the tooth you found, now this find.

Good job! Thanks for keeping us posted.

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

The end is not visible enough to see detail, I have posted a picture of typical crinoid ends, not all crinoids look the same but in general this is what the end should look like. If you have a hand lens or other magnification look at the ends and see if they look anything like these. If they don’t it probably is not a crinoid.

post-6251-0-72236500-1341719661_thumb.jpg

I don't think it looks like those ends. I need to purchase a good macro lens.

In the new pictures, it sure does look like a stick!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hah! I didn't post a front picture again. It does seem segmented and is very hard. If it is a stick, I will feel very silly.

:)

See if it is attracted by a magnet. Sometimes metal parts can corrode into very unexpected shapes.

A 'float' is a fossil that originally was found somewhere else and managed to get transported into another area, usually by water, or glaciers.

I don't have a clue now after the new pictures. :blink:

We just got back from Vacation. Sorry it took a little while to post an image.

Howard, here are the Crinoid Columnals we found in Mineral Wells TX. I circled one that has notches on it. It seems similar.

*Don`t laugh at my crummy circle skills. hah! ;)post-8852-0-98929300-1342313676_thumb.jpg