Cephalopod ?

KyWahine

This fossil rock was found in the Mississippian area of Northeastern Trigg County in Western Kentucky. The rock was part of my fire pit.. It was gathered along with others in the pasture area around my home. When we moved the rocks, some broke open and are showing beautiful fossils especially when this rock is wet. It's unusual because on closer inspection, I believe the rock is a mineral and not a rock-rock. What a pleasant surprise :) Now I want to crack open all the others... lol. This is one of the fossils that was found.

post-7980-0-46629000-1342138845_thumb.jpgpost-7980-0-47648200-1342139088_thumb.jpg

Edited by KyWahine

Here is another from a different rock.

post-7980-0-45976500-1342140110_thumb.jpg

Edited by KyWahine

The segmentation and pores suggest a piece of a trilobite to me.

Don

trilobyte? wow. That would be my first :)

There is definitely bryozoan on the outside similar to others you have found. I think you are correct on the mineral, there appears to be a spray of crystal growth, it could be barite, calcite or even gypsum. Try a little vinegar on it and see what it does. Try to only get it on the mineral part since the fossil material will also fizz and confuse the findings. The thing you thought was a cephalopod is harder to tell since it is so incomplete. If it is one it is a coiled nautiloid and only the outside of the umbilical (the coils around the inner whorl) is preserve. It could also be a gastropod, without more exposed it is hard to tell.

There is definitely bryozoan on the outside similar to others you have found. I think you are correct on the mineral, there appears to be a spray of crystal growth, it could be barite, calcite or even gypsum. Try a little vinegar on it and see what it does. Try to only get it on the mineral part since the fossil material will also fizz and confuse the findings. The thing you thought was a cephalopod is harder to tell since it is so incomplete. If it is one it is a coiled nautiloid and only the outside of the umbilical (the coils around the inner whorl) is preserve. It could also be a gastropod, without more exposed it is hard to tell.

I took a cotton ball and put some on the crystal part and it didn't even bubble. I even got a magnifying lens and still no bubbles. I then put several drops of vinegar on the rock / fossilized part and no bubbles again. Can vinegar go bad?

The second photo has some broken parts of bryozoan, brachiopod and whatever was in the first photo and it could maybe be a trilobite pygidium (tail) but there is not enough to tell.

In the second photo center. The fossil that has circular segments with the trapezoid shaped end? For some reason I think all fossils with circular segments are some kind of cephalopod. I guess that is not the case... lol. I need to do more research :)

If it is barite or gypsum it would not fizz. In the second photo center, there is a possibility it could be a cephalopod part but I don’t see enough to tell. It would be a very, very small cephalopod. A gastropod or trilobite tail wouldn’t be unusual at all to be that small.

Looks like piece of trilobite pygidium to me.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Thanks everyone :) It would be nice if I could find a whole trilobite. It's going to be exciting trying to break the rest of these rocks. Btw, can these specimens be chipped out of this kind of rock?

Yes but it is all trial and error, sometimes they pop out perfectly, others they are ruined. Trilobites are pretty rare in the Mississippian, but if you find one or parts of one there could be more. If you are planning to go east around Bardstown area I can direct you to an area where you can find a lots of Silurian trilobites from one to three inches long, but finding them isn’t a problem, getting them out of the rock is. As in your rocks they have to be popped out, but I know a few tricks.

The damage to the fossil is directly proportional to how bad you want it out.

And the first crack is usually across the middle of the specimen. :angry:

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

That doesn't sound too promising... I'll try some of the smaller clams or gastropods first. I dragged out all the rocks to find just the right specimen today. I'll let u know how it goes.... :wacko:

Good luck! Practice on something you don't want. :D By the way, trying to chip a fossil in the field is almost a guarranted failure. I know from experience.

Edited by Herb