Questions On Popes Creek In The Potomac River

Shark Tooth Hunter

Hello everyone, I jus have some questions about the fossils at popes creek. Like what kind of different fossils the place has. I am going there soon, so I just was wandering what I might find. I usually go to Calvert Cliffs in Maryland so I'm clueless. Any information or pictures would be great !

Thanks, Shark Tooth Hunter

Which Pope's Creek are you going to?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

There's a range of Eocene to Miocene, with more Miocene exposure there I believe. Teeth are really really sparse though. I know a few folks that go there frequently only because it is close to their house, but they don't find much. When you do find teeth they tend to be a bit worn due to all the rocks along the shoreline there. In addition, unless you have permission to gain access via someone's property, you'll need to access it by boat. Parking at the Capt. Billy's restaurant is no longer an option - they call the state police and people have been fined for tresspassing.

Which Pope's Creek are you going to?

I was just told i was going up the potomic river towards popes creek. But i dont really know which one so....

There's a range of Eocene to Miocene, with more Miocene exposure there I believe. Teeth are really really sparse though. I know a few folks that go there frequently only because it is close to their house, but they don't find much. When you do find teeth they tend to be a bit worn due to all the rocks along the shoreline there. In addition, unless you have permission to gain access via someone's property, you'll need to access it by boat. Parking at the Capt. Billy's restaurant is no longer an option - they call the state police and people have been fined for tresspassing.

Thanks for your help!

I was just told i was going up the potomic river towards popes creek. But i dont really know which one so....

There is one in MD, and one in VA. The MD location is far superior, but both will yield teeth & etc.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!