Stone Toes

joe r

:) I know very little about fossil bones but these do not look like bone to me. I'm sure someone with more knowledge than me will chime in soon! :) Interesting stones though and good quality pics! Thanks for posting and Welcome to The Fossil Forum from Missouri!

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

This is the underside of third photo. My limited research estimates soft tissue fossils are around 10,000 to 12,000 years or more to form.

post-9129-0-69752000-1343656828_thumb.jpg

Edited by joe r

These are pseudofossils, inorganic objects which have a superficial resemblance to (often improbable) fossils.

Toes do not fossilize in any form that actually resembles toes; these are water-worn rocks.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thank you for your response. I've gotten a similar response from another source. I assume similar responses are based on past finds. I do respect other opinions based on other experiences. Everyone can take a look and make a judgement. thanks

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you for your response, I've posted a couple more pics. A 'nail bed' is visiable on the top side and the underside shows the 'toe' pad. I will try to post more clear pictures. thank you . The first picture is an end shot of my profile pic. I do understand how persons can have a difference of opinions so please express your thoughts.

post-9129-0-61951600-1343660343_thumb.jpg

post-9129-0-96869000-1343660380_thumb.jpg

post-9129-0-52657700-1343660397_thumb.jpg

These are rocks, not fossils of any kind. This is not a difference of opinion, this is a statement of fact.

Screenshot 2024-02-21 at 12.12.00 AM.png

Agreed.

Sorry, joe r, ... but these are strangely shaped rocks, and not fossils.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Im sorry Im going to have to agree, theyre rocks. No one here wants to crush your hopes, the answers they are giving are based on experience and scientific knowledge and a desire to help and inform. Water can shape rock in a lot of funny ways and over 13 years Ive found thousands of rocks that looked like fingers, toes, claws, teeth, leg bones, ears, noses skulls, frogs, cars, and one that even looked like the Millenium Falcon. There are lots of fossil sites in MS and with a research you can be hunting real fossils in a short time. You may want to join a local fossil club or paleontological society where others with a passion for fossils will be able to help you find sites and id your finds. Good Luck!

Sorry but I would have to agree with the others, I don't see anything that says fossil to me. I also have found many different rocks that I was sure was a fossil until I took a long look at the object and knowing where it was found did not add up. We all started out trying to find fossils and at first we all were sure that what we found were indead fossils, until we started doing the research and comparing them with known fossils and had to sadly come to the conclusion that it was not. Again, I am sorry to dash you hopes.

Thank you , Yes I can understand, I'm not a professional by any measure. Working around fields I've found arrow points, pottery, and teeth most my life, and came across a village remains on a logging ridge back in '75. The pit where my gravel is thought to come looks more like a strip mine. Located on Radar Hill, which is really a high ridge, next to a swamp, so named because of its height for a radar site during WW2, 3 miles south of Ellisville MS on Hwy 29. southeast Miss.

sounds like youve found some great finds, did you ever find anything at the vilage remains?

Along a high ridge which was leveled for log trucks, pottery fragments and arrow/spear points were plentyful, charcoal was found also, and petrified wood. Artifacts were found along 200 yards along the ridge top in the log road then into a pasture.

Interesting finds along the log road include a hand size hammer stone, a palm size fire starting stone I assume, a sand stone bowl fragment with hole drilled along the sides for decor.

A spring is located at the ridge base in the pasture.

Last month, On opposite side of the county road of the ridge 1/4 mile away where a house is being built I found pottery fragments and a arrow/spear point by the steps.

When I was a young lad, this would be in the 60's, arrow points could be found after a rain in almost every plowed farm near my home.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi All,

Two of these pics, not prev. shown the flat end of this stone, shows a light color in the center of the flat end.

This light color may indicate a bone.

post-9129-0-28405700-1346355604_thumb.jpg

post-9129-0-05083600-1346355627_thumb.jpg

post-9129-0-34367000-1346355651_thumb.jpg

Sorry, no bone there...no toes,,,no fossils.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Bones can fossilize but the flesh deteriorates and rots away LONG before any fossilization takes place. Although these rocks may look like a human toe or finger they certainly are not, however I have to give a kudo's to you joe r for your persistance! :) I would love to see some of those artifacts though! Keep coming back!

It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.

Charles Darwin

Yes, I do agree that it seems impossible and goes against all known logic. This has been true of many discoveries over hundreds of years. What we know now would seem impossible a few hundred or less years ago. I'm not taking one view or another. To find truth, I usually make a mental list for example I would say for this to be true , these items 1,2,3 4 and 5 must be found true first.

Off the topic...but interesting... My great grand dad lived with us when I was a youth. He passed at the age of 93 in 1973. He never believed man landed on the Moon. He being born in 1879 or so working with horse and plow and horse drawn wagons, man on the Moon was impossible.

I visited Washington D.C. in my late teens where I viewed the rocks brought back by Apollo. Do I believe man landed on the Moon? I saw the rocket take off on tv, I saw the first live video on tv sent back from the moon, I viewed the rocks brought back.

Please, take your finds to a museum or a university with a paleo department, and let a pro tell you what he thinks. We're just not seeing anything "fossil" about these items, and we are not applying merely logic, but substantial collective experience.

• 4 weeks later...

Still a rock. I'm afraid.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me