Missouri Isotelus Awesome Hunt! 8/11/2012

Empty Pockets

Hey Folks, went hunting last Saturday with my wife and Granddaughter looking for Trilobites.

My wife just killed it with 2 large Isotelus Trilobites and a super rare DOUBLE Isotelus slab!

Me??? They don't call me Empty Pockets for nothing!

ezgif.com-gif-maker.jpg

YouTube video here:

Prepped pics are at the end of the video.

• I found this Informative 1
  • Enjoyed 1

Holy cow, I'd say you had a pretty good day. Are they typically all that large down there?

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Very successful trip and great bugs! I gotta make my way down to that area someday. Having collected the Maquoketa of Iowa and Minnesota, Missouri is a must.

Welcome to the forum from TX, but originally from SEMO.

Beautiful bugs! I guess that just goes to show that since you're "empty pockets", you're just going to have to take your wife hunting with you every time. I loved the video showing your family time.

Nice prep on them, too. Congratulations!

Edited by sward

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

superlative specimens and prep!

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

superlative specimens and prep!

Quoto in toto!

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Wow! Thanks for all the instant feedback!

This is a personal honeyhole that my wife and I discovered and according to the landowner it has never been hunted. We are very fortunate that they so graciously let us come and hunt, super nice folks!

To answer the question posed about size, the 4-5 inchers seem most common but there are 2 inchers also and some piece parts (hypostome, pygidium, thorax etc.) have shown evidence of some true MONSTERS in the 10-12 inch category to be a possibility.

Those are great! I've only found Amphyxima trilobites in the Maquoketa here in MO. I've been looking for those giant Isotelus. Congrats!!!

No evidence of Amphyxina Bellatula in this location but have seen partials of Anataphrus sp. but they are notoriously absent their cephalon!

Edited by Empty Pockets

Man, I loved your video - totally awesome finds! Thanks for vicariously sharing the pleasure of finding such gorgeous specimens. I cannot wait to see the results of your next hunt.

Joe

Kind regards,

Joe

Would you be willing to share the general location info (ie North, South, East, or West Missouri)? I don't have sound here at work, so if it was stated in the video, please let me know...

Would you be willing to share the general location info (ie North, South, East, or West Missouri)? I don't have sound here at work, so if it was stated in the video, please let me know...

He said Maquoketa Shale (Formation/Group), probably in eastern Missouri.

Context is critical.

Oh yeah.... I could say how awesome those trilobites are, but that would be stating the obvious to the point of silliness. :)

Context is critical.

In answer to grokfish and in concurrence with Missourian, yes, Eastern MO would put you in the ballpark. But then again, Eastern MO is where the majority (if not all) of the Maquoketa exposures occur.

Hope that narrows it down enough, hope you understand.

In answer to grokfish and in concurrence with Missourian, yes, Eastern MO would put you in the ballpark. But then again, Eastern MO is where the majority (if not all) of the Maquoketa exposures occur.

Hope that narrows it down enough, hope you understand.

Yeah. The Ordovician on our side of the state seems to be all massive, barren dolostone. :)

Context is critical.

I'm jealous...... Hm... how many hours drive would that be...... Magnificent plate.

Okay, I decided to join this forum since my husband decided to post our finds from last weekend. Thanks for all the support! I love crackin rock and looking for fossils, BTW it's "Empty Pockets" following me not the other way around! LOL

.... BTW it's "Empty Pockets" following me not the other way around! LOL

:D

That's pretty funny, but it looks like you all had fun. Congratulations on your finds and welcome to The Forum.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

:D

That's pretty funny, but it looks like you all had fun. Congratulations on your finds and welcome to The Forum.

We have alot of fun and are ecstatic to add the next generation to the mix! Our Granddaughter in the video....

Ahem....(clearing throat), while I do readily admit I had not given a rock a passing glance up until 9 years ago when I met my fossil loving wife, I have held my own a few times since, LOL!