Fossil Id Mazon Creek Clamshell? And Stalk

opp31337

Just joined a few minutes ago and i must say i am impressed with what i have seen so far. I have the privilege of living smack dab in the middle of some of the greatest fossils in the world. during one my treks around Morris/Coal City/Diamond, IL i discovered the usual ferns and such but then i came across these 2 beauties.

The first one is odd shaped with a lump coming out of the top and bottom with a nearly perfectly round object in the middle of it with tons of that white stuff, I am a noob and do not know much about such things yet, just where to get them. Please also elaborate on this white residue that is also on some other fossils i have. Matrix measures 4 inches in diameter and is about 3 inches tall from lump to lump. Fossil inside is about 1.5 inches in diameter. the second fossil is some sort of stalk and was found open alongside the riverbed. very finely detailed, the holes near the top at the node are actual holes and at bottom third where the line goes across is actually raised. Fossil is 4 inches long and about 1 inch at its widest point. if more information is requested i will surely give it. thanks for the help in advance and Frank Zappa was a genius.

imag0216io.th.jpg

imag0217m.th.jpg

imag0192bn.th.jpg

Wrlcome aboard!

I forget what the white stuff is called, but it is a mineral product of the diagenetic process that is fairly common in siderite nodules.

We have a couple old-hands at Mazon Creek material; I'm sure they can offer the best possible diagnosis of your two unusual specimens.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

My guess on the bottom photo is stem of Calamites.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Bottom pic definitely looks like calamites especially with the vertical patterns of grooves on internodes.

The middle looks like a concretion.

Not sure on the first....it has the shape of a water bug.....

Were you in an Essex or braidwood location? If you can determine where you are either land or water environment it will help to determine most likely ID.

Hi opp and welcome to the forum. The white residue is a mineral called kaolinite, its common in siderite nodules. RCFossils will probably get you good ids on your nodules. I imagine he'll be along shortly.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

the location is near coal city IL. also EvanNorton 1 and 2 are the same. also should i remove the kaolinite or leave it? the thing is almost like an oreo cookie lol

Edited by opp31337

I'd leave it alone until you know what you've got. Sometimes the white kaolinite obscures the fossil, sometimes it preserves extra detail. It all depends on the specimen.

"They ... savoured the strange warm glow of being much more ignorant than ordinary people, who were only ignorant of ordinary things."

-- Terry Pratchett

Nice finds... You do live in a good area so keep digging aound...I was informed by a UK carb expert ( Lyall Anderson) kaolinite is often a good indicator that these nodules formed in a predominantly freshwater to brackish, rather than brackish to marine setting.

Cheers Steve... And Welcome if your a New Member... :)

You are collecting in the Braidwood portion of the deposit. As others have stated, the branch is definately calamites. The middle specimen is a concretion and you may want to lightly tap it with a hammer to see if it splits. The third concretion does not appear to contain a fossil. You will find that many concretions wil be "duds".

You are in a great area and looks like you are off to a good start.

thx for the help, pics 1 and 2 are of the same object. i have only been out to this spot 3 times and have come home with tons as you can see here. i will probably need help IDing others soon, thx in advance

269678_10152024705010644_1625244076_n.jpg

Opp - l I am going to the Braid wood area in two weeks for my first fossil hunt. Was wondering is you could give me some ideas, tips, locations anything that would be helpful in my first of many hunts?

Mumbo