What Is This?

benttwig

Found this in my uncles garage sale. He did not know the history of the piece. Thought maybe this would be the place for some help.

Thnx, TWIG.

Edited by benttwig

subscribed.......will check it out when you get it uploaded :)

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Hope the pictures are good enough. If not let me know and i will try to take some more. It is really quite neat looking and it caught my interest. I have found a few fossils over the years while artifact hunting but never anything like this. Looks similar to horsetail but has a tip to it.

Thanks for any help. Twig.

Can we rule out Calamites growth tip? I sure would like to see a view of the big end.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hmmm. I thought it was a $20 bill. I'm just not any good at identification. :wacko:

SWard
Southeast Missouri

(formerly Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX)

USA

...I believe rhizome tip rather than stem?

I do agree with this, though there is disagreement among academicians (that's why I punted with "growth tip").

An end view would prove or rule out coral for sure.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

Very interesting discussions so far! You guys are very knowledable. Sure looks like you guys have pegged it. Here is the end view you requested:

post-9677-0-87377000-1346592033_thumb.jpg

Hmmm. I thought it was a $20 bill. I'm just not any good at identification. :wacko:

http://www.turnbackt...dollar-bill.jpg

Don't be so hard on yourself. I think you are correct also. Pretty sure you pegged it. If you look closely at the link provided it shows clearly that it is in fact a $20 dollar bill. :)

Edited by benttwig

...Here is the end view you requested:

post-9677-0-87377000-1346592033_thumb.jp

Yup; slightly compressed "limb cast" of a Calamites rhizome tip. Very nice!

EDIT: oops, late post. I started typing before the last few posts, but didn't notice they had already posted by the time I clicked submit. :)

Thanks for posting the photos. Wow! What a nice specimen.

For me, no need to see the end. At first glance, my immediate, knee-jerk reaction was horn coral too, but then, after more careful examination, that's clearly plant, and not coral. Even the matrix it's in and the material making up the fossil itself is identical to some of the Pennsylvanian material we have here in CO where we find land plants (ancient conifers like Walchia, trees like Cordaites, and of course, Calamites, and ferns). It doesn't at all seem like the kind of sedimentation that I'd expect from a coral reef (more fine-grained), but more near/at shore (sandy, gritty).

The area I'm thinking of (here in CO) was a marginal marine environment....I'm guessing like a lagoon or similar, because we have marine deposits and terrestrial deposits (though, from the type of sedimentation, and the poor preservation, I think they must have been deposited in at least some amount of water) in contact cyclically. It almost fooled me the first time I found one of these plant pieces (much smaller, and not as well preserved as this piece), but then, when I saw drawings and then photos of other specimens out there, and put all of that together with which part of the formation my piece came out of (i.e. the part where, on the same piece of matrix, I found a sprig of conifer, etc), I got it.

I can't say that I've found anything this nice at this size before, but you guys are right-on.

Edited by Mr. Edonihce

scale in avatar is millimeters

Come visit Sandi, the 'Fossil Journey Cruiser'

WIPS (the Western Interior Paleontological Society - http://www.westernpaleo.org)

"Being genetically cursed with an almost inhuman sense of curiosity and wonder, I'm hard-wired to investigate even the most unlikely, uninteresting (to others anyway) and irrelevant details; often asking hypothetical questions from many angles in an attempt to understand something more thoroughly."

-- Mr. Edonihce

Can we rule out Calamites growth tip? I sure would like to see a view of the big end.

Wow, nice call! :goodjob:

He can't be a real collector, he still has $20.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

This is a case when it's handy to have the provenance of a piece, especially fossils from the Pennsylvanian.

Context is critical.

I'm reminded ... yet again,

Not to quickly go with first impressions

Good Call Chas !!

B)

I agree with this. I just seen the photo and instantly thought horn coral. Boy did i get schooled lol.

Oh well it is good to get schooled in a good way and learn something.

Robert
Southeast, MO