Shark Tooth Id Needed

jackyd

Just using crown shape, the second from the top is hooked enough to be Isurus planus.

If the others are devoid of serrations, they might be I. hastalis.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

these teeth are worn and hard to id, the 2nd one is a planus

one day i will find a tooth over 3 inches in good conditon haha.

The Lower Santa Margarita from where these teeth originate is 9-12 million years old so it is too old to yield great whites. Any hastalis-looking teeth are most likely hastalis. When you find a tooth, it tends to be very water-worn (no root with a rounded-off tip). Any identifiable tooth is considered a good find there. It has been reported that the fossils may have been transported from as far away as the San Luis Obispo area before being deposited around Scotts Valley. Even Santa Margarita teeth from the Templeton area are waterworn.

Occasionally, you can find really nice teeth and in a variety of colors from white/off-white to pink/purple and gray to brown.

Just using crown shape, the second from the top is hooked enough to be Isurus planus.

If the others are devoid of serrations, they might be I. hastalis.