Rattlesnake Fossil Showing The Skin And Rattle?

Ralph12

This fossil was found in the mississippi river valley. I can't find anything on this type of fossil

On this rock you can see the skin of this snake and the rattle. The head is missing. Click on the photo and it well get a bit bigger

post-9788-0-12674500-1346884717_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ralph12

That is a receptaculid. It is colloquially called 'sunflower coral', but it is actually a type of algae.

Context is critical.

That is a receptaculid. It is colloquially called 'sunflower coral', but it is actually a type of algae.

This can from the buff top at about 600 ft and the bumps you see they are sticking out and when you really look at it you can see the rattle is attached

I agree, receptaculites, common in the Kimmswick limestone and elsewhere I am quite sure.

I guarantee this is what you have. Sorry, definately not a snake.

Edited by Empty Pockets

Receptaculids (which is exactly what you have) do not have rattles.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Nice Find. algae that form into shapes are an amazing example of adaptation. In my opinion anyway

It's hard to remember why you drained the swamp when your surrounded by alligators.

I found some of those recently. They were pretty cool. Sadly I was only able to get a small sample of one of them.

They are very cool looking.

Yours is spectacular.

Also welcome to the forum.

Edited by Raistlin

Robert
Southeast, MO

Nice job, Missourian and others on the help B)

Ralph12

Cool find :wub:

Speaking by experience of ''it looks like ....., but actually it isn't'' , I have to assure you that it's common in fossil collecting ;)

Welcome to the Forum and happy hunting...

Edited by astron

Astrinos P. Damianakis