Miniature Fossils

Mike Owens

Like most everybody here, I would love to find a 7" Meg, but there is also a lot to say about the miniature teeth. The attached photo is of some of our smallest shark teeth. It takes a lot of time & patients to find them, which is the reason that 99.9% of these were found by my eagle-eyed, very patient spouse. :D I have some smaller, but have yet to run accross them. They are not identified, so if anyone here wants to tell me I have a rare one please do. :rolleyes:

post-15-1223303476_thumb.jpg

-----"Your Texas Connection!"------

Fossils: Windows to the past

Mike

Looks like you have a mix of teeth from several sites and formations here. Looks like Squalicorax falcatus from the Eagle Ford of the DFW area, S. kaupi or S. pristodontus from the Ozan or Kemp in the NSR/SSR area (river worn specimens), some Cretolamna appendiculata which ranged through many formations in TX, perhaps a couple Cretoxyrhina mantelli, and maybe even a Leptostyrax macrohiza from the some Lower Cretaceous formation possibly in the Kiamichin to Pawpaw sequence. Am I far off? I like shark teeth but they aren't my primary focus so I could be off the mark a little.

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I see Squalicorax kaupi, Squalicorax falcatus, Cretolamna appendiculata and Scaphanorhynchus texanus. But is not the typical fauna in my country, so here will be more accurate diagnoses.

Greetings.

Boy Howdy! Size isn't everything :wub:

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Boy Howdy! Size isn't everything :wub:

So I've been told. :D

Although diminutive in size as compared with Florida varieties, I assure you these Texas teeth took their pound of flesh in their day...

Grüße,

Daniel A. Wöhr aus Südtexas

"To the motivated go the spoils."

I'd agree with the previous assessments of what you've got there (Squalicorax, Cretalamna and Scapanorhynchus) I'd also agree that there could be 1 Leptostyrax macrorhiza. It's the one on the left side, second row from the bottom. Does it/did it have small side cusps? That would probably be your rarest specimen, but condition is against you.

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Nice collection of "modest" teeth. Relative to the giants that seem to get all of the attention, they're small, even "miniature". But, they seem large compared to the smallest ones around. The micro and near micro will really test your eyesight and your spouse's.

Besides fossils,

I collect roadcuts,

Stream beds,

Winter beaches:

Places of pilgrimage.

Jasper Burns, Fossil Dreams

Yeah, Mike; go get you some of the Eocene matrix from Whiskey Bridge and let your wife play with it. :o

post-420-1223349794_thumb.jpgpost-420-1223349810_thumb.jpg

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Nice collection of "modest" teeth. Relative to the giants that seem to get all of the attention, they're small, even "miniature". But, they seem large compared to the smallest ones around. The micro and near micro will really test your eyesight and your spouse's.

We have a few of those -- or did have. Haven't run accross them yet. As far as test our eyesight --- we are both 67 & our micro fossil spotting days were over a loooong time ago. If we get back to active collecting, micro is the only way to go. Not a lot of walking & bending over. :D