Auspex

Welcome To " Collecting Gear; Tools And Techniques "

Auspex

This new forum is for discussing the tools, gear, and their use, as pertains to fossil collecting in the field.

We have long needed a category like this, as evinced by such discussions sprinkled throughout several other, more general, forums. We will be moving those topics to this forum for ease of reference; if you come across a candidate, please post a link to it in this thread.

Thank you!

AgrilusHunter

This is gonna be good! :popcorn:

Trevor

Thanks Auspex this was a great idea! :fistbump:

Jocky

Great idea.

I am in the middle of creating a "Guide to Fossil Hunting in Qatar Desert" it's quite a big piece with lots of pictures.

It covers:

• Personal safety
  • tools
  • desert driving
  • geology indicators
  • expected finds related to geology

Is this the appropriate place to put it?

Auspex

Great idea.

I am in the middle of creating a "Guide to Fossil Hunting in Qatar Desert" it's quite a big piece with lots of pictures.

It covers:

• Personal safety
  • tools
  • desert driving
  • geology indicators
  • expected finds related to geology

Is this the appropriate place to put it?

Your project it locale-specific, and comprehensive (thank you!).

I have created a Middle East forum in "Fossil Sites", where such a compendium will be looked for and found with ease: LINK

Jocky

Thanks.

I will take it as a personal ambition to fill that section up.

CHEERS

Scylla

Show us you prybars!

Show us your screens!

Do you wear waders,

Or do you wear jeans?

Lmshoemaker

A fantastic addition, thanks for adding it to the forum!

Midnight Contender

Show us you prybars!

Show us your screens!

Do you wear waders,

Or do you wear jeans?

I know you wrote this ages ago, but you made me smile today! Thanks

exasperatus2002

Ok. So I'd like to go on my first expedition, somewhere like st Clair pa to collect slate bound fossil plants. What should I bring?

snolly50

Ok. So I'd like to go on my first expedition, somewhere like st Clair pa to collect slate bound fossil plants. What should I bring?

Someone who has experience collecting that site would be your most valuable asset.

Darktooth

I heard the st.Clair site is hard to find because it is covered with thick vegetation.

erose

My experience was that it is hard to find because there are multiple paths that can take you down the wrong way even when you think you have good directions. first time going with someone who knows the place will help.

Toofuntahh

Yes this will be good. Any suggestions on how to build a lighter sifter? Mine is heave to carry long distances

ZiggieCie

Before you just drive out to St. Clair you need to check out these two links.

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/57671-a-field-trip-to-saint-clair-pa/?hl=st.clair

http://www.thefossilforum.com/index.php?/topic/56923-latest-info-on-st-clair-pa-as-of-aug-16-2015/?hl=st.clair

Edited by ZiggieCie

Auspex

Yes this will be good. Any suggestions on how to build a lighter sifter? Mine is heave to carry long distances

As with so much else, you have to choose two fundamental criteria from a list of three: Durability, Light Weight, Low Cost.

I have seen sifters with frames made of PVC pipe, which cuts the weight, but probably the longevity too if not babied a little.

Max fragmento

Hello

I am really struggling to figure out the best way to do micro abrasion. All of the units I can find on line all have terrible reviews regarding quality and functionality. Many of them are dental oriented units, which would probably be fine, but they are chinese made and poor quality. Then it seems that without expensive and elaborate water removal systems for your air compressor they wont work anyway. There are obviously zillions of people out there around the world prepping fossils using micro-abrasion and hopefully baking soda but I cant seem to find a system that anyone likes. I am just an amateur collector with some nice specimens that it seems micro-abrasion would be the best prep technique. Many of my finds are from the White River formation in Wyoming. So.... the matrix is no that hard.... any help would be appreciated.

squali

Ziggycie has a great recent post regarding air abrasion with the paasche air eraser. I use the el cheapo from harbor freight because I'm currently contributing a significant portion of my wages to the University of South Carolina :D It works fine for the quick clean up of my cretaceous fossils. I use baking soda and dolomite (separately). The In-line air drier from Harbor freight was about $13 and the air eraser was $27. I would think if your prepping larger fossils like the awesome White River mammals, I would go with ZiggieCie's recommendation. You can also search the forum using "air abrasion" for some great information.