Back To The Lake...glen Rose, Cretaceous - Texas

surfergirlatx

Greetings TFF!!! Sorry I have been gone for a while. I had to have another spine surgery, and will not be recovered until 2013. I broke doctors orders yesterday and went on a hour hunt....now I see why he said to WAIT as the pain is horrible...but worth it!!

As some of you know, the lake where I live over the past few months went up approx 17 feet, covering my fossil hunting site, but now the water has dropped and the fossils are exposed again! However the landscape is so different than before the rains. I have hunted this site for over 6+ years and to my suprise, thanks to the rains and the elevation and dropping of the water levels, my huting site is as if no one has ever hunted it before. I always knew the vast amount of fossils there, but now my mind is just blown to know that TONS more have surfaced!

Also yesterday for the first time ever at my site, I found my first arrow-head or point. I was in shock!

Here are my finds from yesterday: Sorry to group the fossils but due to my surgical pain, its the best I can do for now!

Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Of course and as always at the lake: Glen Rose, Cretaceous - Texas

Gastropods, Echinoid Heteraster, numerous Bivalves, Trigonias, Pecten Nerithea.......

Here are the Echinoid Heteraster:

post-6873-0-76914300-1350155536_thumb.jpg

post-6873-0-20493000-1350155552_thumb.jpg

Edited by surfergirlatx

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.

In the 6+ years I have been hunting my lake site, this is my first arrow-head point I have EVER found!

post-6873-0-78100900-1350155734_thumb.jpg

Pectin found in marl-ish mud with full shell on both sides :)

post-6873-0-07552700-1350155723_thumb.jpg

Here are the remainder of my finds, sorry they are all grouped together. My recent neck surgery will not allow me to seperate them at this time :(

Gastropods and much more!!!

post-6873-0-41454700-1350155956_thumb.jpg

post-6873-0-75313800-1350155963_thumb.jpg

Very nice echinoids and a wonderful dart point. Take care out there.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Very nice echinoids and a wonderful dart point. Take care out there.

Thanks John! It was great to be able to just hunt, even if only for an hour!

Hey Girl----Glad to hear from you again, your finds were nice, the point outstanding-----BUT!!!!-----The back is nothing to play around with, rest it and do as the doctor says or it might come back to haunt you years later----taint worth it----Tom

Edited by Foshunter

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Nice finds ......That point you found is really a spear point....very cool. Sorry to hear about you back..I know what your going thru. I had two spinal fusions years back and spent like two years in body casts and on top of that I developed two compression fractures in L1 and T12 last fall and still recovering from that.. Trust me when I tell you ....Do what the doctors say...it can save you on a lot of pain.

Edited by njfossilhunter

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

So nice to see you back here on the forum, you were missed! Great finds, thanks for sharing. Take care of yourself so you can share more in the future.

Kim,

So nice to see you back here on the Forum. :)

You've been missed.

Thanks for posting your finds - they look wonderful!

Sorry to hear of your back troubles. I hope they work out for you.

Please be careful, and don't risk your health for the fossils - Not worth it.

Welcome back, again.

Regards,

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for sharing your hard-earned finds. Very nice! I'm sure it's tough to be laid up and not enjoy the simple pleasure of fossil hunting, and other things, but listen to the doc and get better so you can enjoy (and share) many hunts for years to come!

I'm certain that if I was in that situation, all I would think is how therapeutic getting out would be. :)

Steve

That is a splendid point and always nice to see decent echinoids. Congrats on finding your first point there.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Hi Kim! Great to see your post and beautiful echinoids! Your gastro's are super cool. You always find great specimens! Wishing you a speedy recovery!

Process of identification "mistakes create wisdom".

Thank you to all!!! I have missed TFF and fossil hunting in general. I had been in bed for so long, my soul needed to go on a hunt! This is my 4th spinal fusion (scoliosis) ......but its back to bed again...however the rains we got last night really have me wanting to go back down the hill, thanks Erose!!!! Here is a pic of what was in the bottom of my bag that I collected 2 days ago.....love those micros also!!!

post-6873-0-74969900-1350225490_thumb.jpg

Hi Kim

Nice to see you back here and posting your fossil finds.

Hope your recovery goes faster than the doctors anticipate

PS: Your the only one I know who can go fossil hunting for an hour

and need a wheelbarrow to haul back the fossils you found

:D

Flash from the Past (Show Us Your Fossils)
MAPS Fossil Show

Hi Kim

Nice to see you back here and posting your fossil finds.

Hope your recovery goes faster than the doctors anticipate

PS: Your the only one I know who can go fossil hunting for an hour

and need a wheelbarrow to haul back the fossils you found

:D

Thanks Indy! Its been a rough recovery...but those fossils are starting to call my name again................I dont know why I find so many??? It kinda blows my mind also. I dont think its me, I think its the site! :)

I need to take more site pics to show how different the site is now after the lake came up 17+feet and covered the fossil ground with water, then it receded back down and now the fossils are EVERYWHERE. Its as if I had never hunted that site before! Amazing!

Indy your right, the marl-ish mud is starting to uncover some amazing fossils...even have shells remaining on them....wonderful!!! Sooo ready to hunt again!

Dang! Nice haul. You're one tough cookie! But we know all about the Siren song of those fossils calling us out of our comfort zone :) Next thing we know you'll be snorkling for fossils when the lake comes back up! That's one nice thing about Travis, when the silt settles after a rain the water is very clear for a Texas lake. Sometimes I feel torn between the farmer's need for rain and my wish for a dry creekbed for collecting. I'm going out this afternoon across some very wet blackland dirt so I can look at a new site too far to walk to. Hope I don't get stuck!

Dang! Nice haul. You're one tough cookie! But we know all about the Siren song of those fossils calling us out of our comfort zone :) Next thing we know you'll be snorkling for fossils when the lake comes back up! That's one nice thing about Travis, when the silt settles after a rain the water is very clear for a Texas lake. Sometimes I feel torn between the farmer's need for rain and my wish for a dry creekbed for collecting. I'm going out this afternoon across some very wet blackland dirt so I can look at a new site too far to walk to. Hope I don't get stuck!

Thank you Bob! I totally can relate to the dilemma of rain or drought....I personally want Travis to fall even lower....I also agree, Travis is a clear lake and I wouldn’t put it past me to snorkel if the lake does come up lol. So excited for you that you’re prospecting a new site today! I too hope you don’t get stuck! Best of luck! Can’t wait to see what you uncover!

Nice finds there!Hope you have a speedy recovery so you can go out again!

"Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday" - Dale Carnegie