Fossil Day In Ladonia Texas And More Fossils From The North Sulphur River

wfrr

Some finds from my October treks on the North Sulphur River in Fannin County Texas.

OZAN FORMATION.

Here are some weathered Mosasaur verts along with a fish vert and more bone frags.

post-9617-0-72185100-1350941753_thumb.jpg

I am starting to lock in on some of the the smaller things. These are a bit taller than the penny that I forgot to include for size reference.

post-9617-0-61292700-1350941847_thumb.jpg post-9617-0-44001200-1350941916_thumb.jpg

My wife found this cool fish fin, its about 2 inches in length

post-9617-0-64932800-1350941977_thumb.jpg

Some worm tubes and starfish parts

post-9617-0-91728500-1350942052_thumb.jpg

A few more verts and frags

post-9617-0-02689500-1350942072_thumb.jpg

Trentonmon and I went to the fossil day workshop in Ladonia Tx. We brought some fossils with us that we wanted an opinion on. Everyone was very nice and they put on a good show for us. We each were given a copy of the Louis Jacobs book..LONE STAR DINOSAURS. I'd been thinking about buying it for a while. So nice swag!! We appreciate everyone who was involved in doing the event. It was a good learning experience.

Having said that we didn't follow the long caravan of vehicles headed for a guided hunt at the ever picked over Fossil park entrance. We hit the river for a short hunt at a spot we had not gone before. It was very muddy and well picked over but I got out of there with a few decent finds.

post-9617-0-01957400-1350942309_thumb.jpg

I found this very tiny vert, Im not sure if its a shark or fish vert. I was really seeing small when I saw that one right?

post-9617-0-26890100-1350942412_thumb.jpg

Its been a few months since a really good rain. I can't complain about what I've found during the summer and fall, but I know a good rain might uncover the one that didn't get away.... One thats been there millions of years waiting for me to find it It keeps us coming back

Edited by wfrr

Very cool finds. We have Mosasaurs here in Jersey but our verts are a bit scarcer then they are in Texas

Tony
The Brooks Are Like A Box Of Chocolates,,,, You Never Know What You'll Find.

I Told You I Don't Have Alzheimer's.....I Have Sometimers. Some Times I Remember

And Some Times I Forget.... I Mostly Forget.

Nice Mos. verts, the partial fish fin is more than likely Xiphactinus audax, thanks for posting----Tom

Grow Old Kicking And Screaming !!
"Don't Tread On Me"

Cool finds- we went Sunday just to get out of the house; I have yet to take pictures of the fossils we found but I found various sharks teeth, verts, fish teeth, and a few bits of mosasaur jaws for the most part.

Maybe one day we can meet up and I will show you how to look for all those shark/fish teeth :).

Oh and I found 3 broke points- always frustrates me when they are not whole but that's just like a fossil too.

Edited by fossiladdict

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

I was leaning toward shark too, The pic is easier to see for me than the vert is and it looks like an ittybitty shark in the pic.

Thanks

Fossiladdict...It would be very cool if you wouldn't mind showing a bunch of wannabe's a trick or two. I'll message you next time we are in the planning stage of going. It will be a few weeks though with deer hunting season coming in. Last year I just sat and watched them didnt take any venison. I think I might as soon be hunting fossils and artifacts these days. Having said that one of the places I hunt deer is in Mills county and we have an indian site on the lease. Always good for some artifacts. The other place I go is in Montague County and not far from a good fossil creek that has given up some of the best points I've ever found along with pennsylvanian fossils.

Fossiladdict...It would be very cool if you wouldn't mind showing a bunch of wannabe's a trick or two. I'll message you next time we are in the planning stage of going. It will be a few weeks though with deer hunting season coming in. Last year I just sat and watched them didnt take any venison. I think I might as soon be hunting fossils and artifacts these days. Having said that one of the places I hunt deer is in Mills county and we have an indian site on the lease. Always good for some artifacts. The other place I go is in Montague County and not far from a good fossil creek that has given up some of the best points I've ever found along with pennsylvanian fossils.

Sounds good- we are hunters too. We need deer this year too as we only have Axis, Elk, and Ram left. Need a good rain! If I plan to go anytime soon, I will send you a message too, but I think it will be awhile too.

Fossils are simply one of the coolest things on earth--discovering them is just marvelous! Makes you all giddy inside!

Nice haul! Wonderful finds!!!!!

"The road to success is always under construction." Author Unknown.