Worlds Oldest Flying Insect

bone digger

I wonder why they say it is the oldest flying insect? There are tons of fossils of flying insects from the Pennsylvanian. The advanced dragonfly named after me I found is Pennsylvanian. (Upper Penn....maybe this is right from the Mississippian/Pennsylvanian transition...not aware of any Mississippian flying insect fossils.)

Guest Nicholas
I wonder why they say it is the oldest flying insect? There are tons of fossils of flying insects from the Pennsylvanian. The advanced dragonfly named after me I found is Pennsylvanian. (Upper Penn....maybe this is right from the Mississippian/Pennsylvanian transition...not aware of any Mississippian flying insect fossils.)

Have any papers on that dragonfly named for you, I would love a good read.

I would assume you are right with the Mississippian/Pennsylvanian transition...

> I like the way he "found" the site (gotta' start reading old, obscure papers).

> I like that it's an ichno fossil (can't help it; I like ichnos).

> Not sure about inferring wings because of the implied morphology of an ichno fossil; less so the lack of footprints. Sherlock Holmes solved many a crime by paying attention to what was missing, but he never had to publish in a peer-reviewed journal...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Guys

They are not saying it's the oldest flying insect found. They are saying it's the oldest inchofossils of a flying insect - a trace impression. Apparently the insect didnt die at that spot - it simply left an impression in mud, a trace fossil.

I snatched the image and tried to photoshop an enlargement of the impression, but the resolution just isn't there :(

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

I dont agree though that the absence of traces from walking is hard evidence against the fact that the insect may have been crawling. I have seen so many reptile footprints starting out as if from nowhere and ending at a certain point as if they just tok off. The absence of walking tracks can be attribiuted to different reasons, mostly purely geological rather than paleontological.

I think what they said about the site makes it very possible to find it - how many strip malls are there is that town? gotta start sharpening my chisels!)

Hey Aspex, if you like ichno fossils so much, i bet you would love my collection.

I dont agree though that the absence of traces from walking is hard evidence against the fact that the insect may have been crawling.

How about hopping? It would also explain the "splayed-legs" aspect.

Hey Aspex, if you like ichno fossils so much, i bet you would love my collection.

I believe I've seen a post or two? Keep 'em coming! :)

How about hopping? It would also explain the "splayed-legs" aspect.

It could have been hopping crawling walking or flying. I dont disagree with the article. It's just not hard evidence.

I believe I've seen a post or two? Keep 'em coming! :)

Well, i dont have time to post much, and my internet is slow so every post is a "torture". Even if i posted more, I could never compete with the quantity of posts you produce!

Yes I know I need to post some pics of my collection. I have to take those pics first. But i promise I will take some and post them soon.

Well, i dont have time to post much, and my internet is slow so every post is a "torture". Even if i posted more, I could never compete with the quantity of posts you produce!

Yes I know I need to post some pics of my collection. I have to take those pics first. But i promise I will take some and post them soon.

Maybe someday, when you have the time, you could set-up a Forum gallery?

I think it would be a good addition!

Guest bmorefossil

yea i think everyone should have a few of their fossils in the gallery

I think I really should. I will absolutely do that! It's wrong that my fossils just vegetate in the crates.

I think I really should. I will absolutely do that!

Huzzah!

(I keep meaning to put some of my paltry collection in the gallery, but life keeps getting in the way...maybe you'll inspire me!)

Guest bmorefossil
Huzzah!

(I keep meaning to put some of my paltry collection in the gallery, but life keeps getting in the way...maybe you'll inspire me!)

do it auspex!

Come on Auspex, you can do it!!!!!!!!!

My excuse this week is "Need new camera".

Next week, it will be "Been at Cape May for a week".

I will do it, though. I promise :)

Gol darnit, Scott! First that honkin big fish, and now this; is there anything else you'd like to share?

I look at the accomplishments of the Forum's membership and (can't help it) feel proud.

Congratulations!