Mystery Blastoid From Arkona

Shamalama

Hi all,

It's been a while since I've posted but I recently took a trip up to Arkona for one last search before winter sets in. It was a chilly day with light rain in the morning but time flew by thanks to a surprise visit by Jschmo (Darrell). He's a great guy to collect with an very knowledgeable. He pointed out to me where the Microcyclus thedforensis level is in the Arkona Fm. and then I proceeded to find a couple dozen specimens. My find for the day is this crushed, 9.5mm long blastoid:

post-1408-0-92326400-1351628826_thumb.jpgpost-1408-0-73778500-1351628828_thumb.jpgpost-1408-0-50588000-1351628830_thumb.jpgpost-1408-0-97226000-1351628831_thumb.jpgpost-1408-0-41506900-1351628833_thumb.jpgpost-1408-0-15023200-1351628835_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the lighting but as it's still raining outside from Sandy I took the pics with my Zorb Microscope camera. I'm not sure who it is so any suggestions are welcomed.

-Dave

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Never having found a blastoid there , cant really be a help in the identification but I'll give it a try anyway.

I am wondering if you have a Eleutherocrinus

Glad you got in a productive day, was thinking that you might have been going to a real mudfest when you said you were going there on Friday. Good to see you again on Friday afternoon, hope you can post some pics of your finds at the quarry in the eurypterid thread from Friday.

I am wondering if you have a Eleutherocrinus

Edited by Malcolmt

Hyperoblastus or Devonoblastus. Check your PM's. Having been fooled myself by a crushed piece I thought was Eleutherocrinus, I can say yours isn't that rare species either

There's no limit to what you can accomplish when you're supposed to be doing something else

Nice blastoid Dave!

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

Hi Dave,

I'm afraid I can't help you with the ID on this rare and wonderful find, but I just wanted to ask you here to please check out your PMs. You've got a couple there from me.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/