Bizarre Dinosaur Lured Mates With Bony Adornments

Guest Nicholas

Guest Nicholas

The scary spikes on a newly discovered horned dinosaur species may look bizarre today, but they were sexy 72 million years ago, new research suggests.

Find the article HERE!

How do they know it was to make them more sexy? Is there some proof to back that up, or were they more for protection?

Guest Nicholas
How do they know it was to make them more sexy? Is there some proof to back that up, or were they more for protection?

You see similar sexual evolution in mammals today, mainly deer. They also use them for fighting, but over all living in a dense forest they are a hindrance to the animal. Sexual purposes is the only reason. I don't think they have exact proof, only comparison proof to animals today...

Guest bmorefossil
You see similar sexual evolution in mammals today, mainly deer. They also use them for fighting, but over all living in a dense forest they are a hindrance to the animal. Sexual purposes is the only reason. I don't think they have exact proof, only comparison proof to animals today...

with stuff like this it gets really hard to prove, unless the animal still exists today how could anyone really know. Its just a well educated guess

but over all living in a dense forest they are a hindrance to the animal.

they actually aren't much of a hindrance, even a large bull elk or moose can run through the thickest timber with ease. Although after carrying them around for several months it must feel very weird when they fall off!

Guest Nicholas
they actually aren't much of a hindrance, even a large bull elk or moose can run through the thickest timber with ease. Although after carrying them around for several months it must feel very weird when they fall off!

Here the moose must be slightly stupider, are accounts of them getting their "head gear" stuck in trees and hitting trees running away from hunters. Actually I believe there has been a few cases where they got wedged in a tree and had to be rescued.

"...it's generally conceded that these horns on the face and the frill were to make [the dinosaurs] attractive to potential mates."

This statement may be true; it may be the general concensus, but it assumes facts not in evidence. Proof of sexual dimorphism would help their case (but they might not be looking fore it since the case is conceded). Until they can show that one gender was more elaborately ornamented than the other, it is scientifically tenuous.

Sometimes, a horn is just a horn.

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very interesting article, Nick! Thanks for sharing that. I can't imagine finding DOZENS of those complete in one spot. It's amazing how new species of dinosaurs and trilobites are identified every year. We know SO little about our own planet and its past--much less the universe.

Guest bmorefossil
Very interesting article, Nick! Thanks for sharing that. I can't imagine finding DOZENS of those complete in one spot. It's amazing how new species of dinosaurs and trilobites are identified every year. We know SO little about our own planet and its past--much less the universe.

well i cant wait for a few megalodons to get together in one spot and let me find them all!!! lol

What usually happens is that when they cant explain the function of something especially a fril or a horn they conclude that the purpose was to attract the opposite gender. While it could be very true, and there are analogies among modern animals, there is no proof or even strong evidence for it. All that is based on is modern animals behavior. nevertheless, I think these dinos look pretty sexy)

It all makes sense now. I've personaly found that nothing turns the ladies on like a well plumed, extra large brimmed, purple hat. Face it, women are attracted to motley head gear. It always was and it always will be. Take the vikings for instance, women knew exactly where they were coming from. It can however be taken too far. The 1st rule of thumb is, never wear a hat with a diameter greater than you are tall. Hence the failure of the sombrero.

...The 1st rule of thumb is, never wear a hat with a diameter greater than you are tall. Hence the failure of the sombrero.

Wondered what I was doing wrong...

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!