Unknown Williamsville Formation Fossil

clfossils

Good day everyone, I found a fossil during the summer from the Williamsville Formation, Bertie Group in Fort Erie. I have had a few people take a look at it but have not had any luck identifying it. I was wondering if anyone might have any idea:

1 cm in diameter

Almost perfectly circular

Radial rings

Can't see a verticle cross section

Does not carry on to the bottom

Photos are the only visible section

Unknown_6144_1.jpg

Unknown_6147_1.jpg

THANK YOU

It looks like an inarticulate brachiopod to me.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

It looks like an inarticulate brachiopod to me.

I'm surprised at how concentric it is...would a brachiopod not be at least a little 'off center'?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of these. I can't find much about them. It is called a Kullingia type scratch circle. It is believed to be the trace fossil of a plant-

like organism anchored in the center. It doesn't make much sense to me. It is also known as Kullingia concentrica and thought to be

something else, but no one seems to know what. I was going to post a photo of mine. I just joined the Fossil Forum today. I found mine

in the Pennsylvanian Atoka formation of northwest Arkansas at a location with abundant trace fossils and very few body fossils.

Looks too regular to me to be an inarticulate brachiopod.

"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"_ Carl Sagen

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

" I think, therefore I collect fossils." _ Me

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

"can't we all just get along?" Jack Nicholson from Mars Attacks

This is Silurian... marine... hypersaline lagoon environment don't think it is a asipidella ... missing radial portions and the environment is wrong for mushroom. I thought that it might be stem of a crinoid? But I have not seen crinoids in the Williamsville formation.... so I really don't know?

Are there ant forams similar to Nummulites in that formation?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Hello!

Could it be a negative print from the bottom of the rugosa coral Paleocyclus porpita(porpitus), very common in the silurian reef in Gotland

Here and the picture, you can see the septae(TOP) and a specimen upside down( Bottom) they mesure one centimeter

and we can distinguish a sort of "battlement", perhaps relative to the stripe of the septae...and the circles looks similar

it's just a supposition....

D

post-5175-0-92941900-1356270753_thumb.jpg

post-5175-0-15487700-1356270784_thumb.jpg

Edited by Dromiopsis

Could it be a negative print from the bottom of the rugosa coral Paleocyclus porpita(porpitus), very common in the silurian reef in Gotland

post-6808-0-46161200-1356577190.jpg

That is some wonderfully detailed and diverse stuff. Do you have any more?

Context is critical.

post-6808-0-46161200-1356577190.jpg

That is some wonderfully detailed and diverse stuff. Do you have any more?

Hello,

That's the only plate whith such diversity:

In a quare of 10 cm son 10 cm :

2 Paleocyclus porpita (both side)

One another rugosa coral, genus Cystiphyllum

one brachiopod genus Megastrophia

3 ostracods genus Eoleperditia

one bryozoan genus Ptilodictya lanceolata

And..pieces of Trilobite

Visby formation, Llandovery Gotland

Normally, you find easily 4 differents fossils together(ex on picture with a mix of Tentaculites, Bryozoans, small ostracods and Brachiopods), not 5-6 different genus

Dromiopsis

post-5175-0-99638800-1356597415_thumb.jpg

• Enjoyed 1

The coral base imprint is a great hypothesis! :goodjob:

No trees were killed in this posting......however, many innocent electrons were diverted from where they originally intended to go.

"When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth."__S. Holmes

The coral base imprint is a great hypothesis! :goodjob:

Only thing is that I have never seen coral in the Williamsville formation..... no rugose coral, no tentaculites as this was a hypersaline enviroment with salt hoppers... the high salt content would have killed off most things.... never seen a trilobite .... brachs are rare.....

I'd accept the solitary coral hypothesis as lots of other non-usual items show up in those rocks. Maybe one got swept in by a storm like the occasional brach or cephalopod that is found?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I accept that it looks pretty close in the mold but as Peter indicates I have never seen any signs of any coral in the quarry where this was found. The quarry area we dig is pretty much eurypterids, phylocarids, cephalopods, occassional horseshoe crabs, primitive plant material and the very occassional brach. In fact I have never found a brach in hundreds of hours of hunting there, though I have seen one found.

Good day. Althought the quarry exposes the williamsville formation, there are other formations as well in the Ridgemount quarry. The Bois Blanc (Devonian) is the top most member followed by the silurian akron formation, the williamsville formation (Where the Eurypterids are found) then the barren scajaquada layer and finally the fiddlers green. There are fragments of all these formations in the area so its likely that your photo is not williamsville rock as it is a very fine grained dolostone. Your pic looks like a coarse grained rock that could possibly be the fiddlers green or the Akron formation as it is brown and corals can be found, but are rare in these formations. The Devonian Bois Blanc is rich in corals though.

Can you provide a larger photo of that piece of rock so we can be certain of this?

Edited by Quarryman Dave

Quarrycomber

Im not familiar with the formation or environment but came across this today :

"Some paleontologists argue that circular impressions are not the fossil impressions of hydrozoans or other animals, but instead are scratch circles—sets of concentric grooves cut in sand or mud by the action of objects anchored at one end. For example, a plant swept around by waves or wind can trace circles in the ground around its stem, which is anchored at the center of the scratch circles."

Could this be a possibility as well?

Edited by itwasntme

Good day. Althought the quarry exposes the williamsville formation, there are other formations as well in the Ridgemount quarry. The Bois Blanc (Devonian) is the top most member followed by the silurian akron formation, the williamsville formation (Where the Eurypterids are found) then the barren scajaquada layer and finally the fiddlers green. There are fragments of all these formations in the area so its likely that your photo is not williamsville rock as it is a very fine grained dolostone. Your pic looks like a coarse grained rock that could possibly be the fiddlers green or the Akron formation as it is brown and corals can be found, but are rare in these formations. The Devonian Bois Blanc is rich in corals though.

Can you provide a larger photo of that piece of rock so we can be certain of this?

Hi Dave:

I was there when Corey found the fossil... Williamsville formation for sure. ROM is not sure what it is...

PL

Im not familiar with the formation or environment but came across this today :

"Some paleontologists argue that circular impressions are not the fossil impressions of hydrozoans or other animals, but instead are scratch circles—sets of concentric grooves cut in sand or mud by the action of objects anchored at one end. For example, a plant swept around by waves or wind can trace circles in the ground around its stem, which is anchored at the center of the scratch circles."

Could this be a possibility as well?

I wouldn't think random wave action would result in an almost perfect set of concentric rings.